Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I7 2600 vs 2600K

Last response: in CPUs
January 16, 2011 6:19:16 AM

Hi.

My PC recently got fried by lightning and I am planning a replacement. Can anyone tell me if there is any difference between 2600 and 2600K other than unlocked cores and GPU? I not a gamer so I do not OC and use a separate GPU - Nvidia GTS250 1Gb, which I may upgrade to a GTX460 1Gb. My PC use is mainly CS5 and MS Office.

Thanks

Dave

More about : 2600 2600k

January 16, 2011 1:26:26 PM

The main difference is the unlocked clock multiplier that is denoted by the K which makes overclocking easier.The K-series are also more expensive that their non-K counterparts. Other than these, they are basically identical. I second the 2500K suggestion. It's performance relative to its price is better than either the 2600 or the 2600K. And for CS5 and MS Office, I believe it will be more than enough.
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2011 4:17:16 AM

The 2500 is probably the best SB for your needs. No integrated GPU concerns... no overclocking concerns... Just a 3.3 GHz quad core that will clock itself upto 3.7 GHz if it has the chance. The 2600 adds a little clockspeed and hyperthreading so you get 8 threads and a bit more speed. MS Office probably doesn't care about that, but CS5 might like it.
Related resources
January 17, 2011 4:56:56 AM

Thanks all. I have decided to go with the 2600. As I originally posted, I do not OC so the K models are beyond my needs. However, my PC does run numerous tasks simultaneously so the hypertreading could speed up matters.

Regards
D.
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2011 5:23:15 AM

With the 2600k overclocking has never been easier, its a no brainer not to get it.
January 17, 2011 12:14:43 PM

2600K is the winner!
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2011 12:14:48 PM

There is no differences in the chips except the unlocked multiplyers. The GPU is the same on both. The difference is the motherboard you chose. So I'm only posting to help you get the right board. The P67 series supports 1-X16 lane or dual X8 lanes so if you later decide to run multiple cards that's the board for you, there is NO on board graphics. The H67 only supports the 1-X16 lane but also supports on-die graphics, (meaning there is a video port on board). If you NEVER plan on using dual video cards then you will probably want the H67 series boards so that if your card craps out you can use the onboard graphics until you get a replacement. These decisions/recommendations are based solely on your statement that you do not overclock, cause the H series boards won't let you overclock anything - cpu or memory.
January 18, 2011 4:36:14 AM

suteck said:
There is no differences in the chips except the unlocked multiplyers. The GPU is the same on both. The difference is the motherboard you chose. So I'm only posting to help you get the right board. The P67 series supports 1-X16 lane or dual X8 lanes so if you later decide to run multiple cards that's the board for you, there is NO on board graphics. The H67 only supports the 1-X16 lane but also supports on-die graphics, (meaning there is a video port on board). If you NEVER plan on using dual video cards then you will probably want the H67 series boards so that if your card craps out you can use the onboard graphics until you get a replacement. These decisions/recommendations are based solely on your statement that you do not overclock, cause the H series boards won't let you overclock anything - cpu or memory.

Thanks for the information. All things considered I may go for the H67 MB and 2500K CPU.
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 2:56:00 PM

Why? Is there something wrong with them? I'm about to do a few builds for a company and I planned on using the H series boards so I/they can cheap out and use the on-die video. If you know something about them not working or breaking/crashing whatever I sure could use that information before I do. The gigabyte board if that matters.
January 18, 2011 2:57:52 PM

The 2600K is on sale at microcenter for $279 right now. Get the "P" board. Asus "pro" version has bluetooth built in.
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 3:31:16 PM

Actually I'm planning on an i5 2400, (i3 2100 could only find at 1 source and I'm not to sure about them. Know where I can get some?), with 1-4 GB ripjaw. Like I said, cheap out. No onboard video on P boards and don't want to buy a video card. I took it by your comment there was something wrong with the H boards and I'm turning in bids this afternoon so you scared the ships out of me thinking I was about to screw up bigtime!! So there cheap but work - just like the owner LOL.
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 5:01:29 PM

you got a nice chip, but in regards to getting a gtx460 right now.. please note the gtx560's are supposed to be here at the end of the month i know you said your system is fried, but unless the gts 250 is fried i'd wait a week to see how the 560 looks and the pricepoints, at the very least the gtx 460 will go down in price
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 5:36:36 PM

The H67 is the more budget minded board compared the the P67 (think 'P' for performance)... but that doesn't mean its a bad board. Its meant for a different purpose. If you aren't overclocking, and have no need for dual-graphics, but want on-board graphics to be an option ... and keep $30 in your pocket, then the H67 is a perfectly fine option. I have an Asus P8H67-M EVO and am perfectly happy with it for my needs (running a low-power server). In a year when I upgrade the game machine... the P67 or X68 will be in my sights... but that's a different usage :) 

For LGA1155 CPUs, the i5s and i7s came out a little over a week ago, most of the i3s are schedules to come out late February. That's why you probably don't see alot of i3s advertised. They're dual cores with hyperthreading (still 4 threads... but not 4 cores) but don't have the turbo boost for the most part... and probably have reduced overclocking ability.

If you have access to a Micro Center, they still appear to have 2500K CPUs for $180 after an in-store instant 'price drop/rebate'. The K parts do have the stronger integrated graphics (like the mobile parts will have) if you are planning on getting a H67. Best of luck!
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 5:41:01 PM

suteck said:
Actually I'm planning on an i5 2400, (i3 2100 could only find at 1 source and I'm not to sure about them. Know where I can get some?), with 1-4 GB ripjaw. Like I said, cheap out. No onboard video on P boards and don't want to buy a video card. I took it by your comment there was something wrong with the H boards and I'm turning in bids this afternoon so you scared the ships out of me thinking I was about to screw up bigtime!! So there cheap but work - just like the owner LOL.

Oh... the processors do support dual channel memory, so it might be in your best interest to get a 2x2GB DDR3 kit. The main reason not to is if you plan on adding a 2nd module in the near future (so the initial purchase price is below budget) and want to have 8GB. This is particularly important if you're getting a microATX board with only 2 DDR3 slots (I probably would recommend against... but that's an option).

When you say 'turning in bids', are you ordering many systems, or getting multiple price quotes?
a b à CPUs
January 18, 2011 5:57:35 PM

The plan is to have the availability to add the second 4 GB stick down the road, and yes, it is the board with only 2 ram slots. Systems are for 1 retail store's software which is very limited, (and windows of course). No need for any real performance or graphics hardware. And the bids are for building the systems for them as opposed to buying something pre-built, cause we all know what they put in those. He's even going to use the current monitors, with vga plugs, keyboards & mouse with ps2 plugs. That's why I was trying to locate some of the i3 2100's, just to save money.
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2011 12:24:06 AM

From what I've seen, many mobos just have one PS/2 port... double check that with your selected mobo. The i3-2100s are slated to be out Feb 20, 2011 (Source). If you have the time, they're $117 at quantity (probably will be around $125 at Newegg).

The system you're building will have more than enough power for what you're doing. Good luck!
January 24, 2011 4:44:08 AM

68vistacruiser said:
The 2600K is on sale at microcenter for $279 right now. Get the "P" board. Asus "pro" version has bluetooth built in.

thanks for the tip on the sale
!