What do you think of this gaming rig?

G33K707

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Processor: AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHZ Link: http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/phenom-ii/Pages/phenom-ii.aspx

MOBO: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 Link: http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?p_id=nlwyri9wlniyhaaa&templete=2

GPU: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB Link: http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?psn=0001&pid=1039

Chassis/Casing: Epraizer Noble Gaming Casing Link: http://www.frontier.com.tw/index.asp?page=products&ID=case&It=09a&Type=NOBLE&Ex=feature

RAM: 2x Geil 4GB 1333 DDR3 Total 8GB Link: http://forums.vr-zone.com/mass-order-forum/736955-close-geil-4gb-1333mhz-pc-10666-ddr3-value-single-channel.html

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM Link: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=c89ef141e7f43110VgnVCM100000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Cooling:
CPU: Deepcool Beta 200 Plus Link: http://www.ecplaza.net/product/216985_1397308/cpu_cooler_beta_200_plus.html

Chassis/Casing: Deepcool Wind Blade Fan Link: http://www.shopmania.co.za/shopping~online-cooling-fans~buy-deepcool-wind-blade-120mm-silent-blue-led-cooler-fan-120x120x25mm~p-1166453.html

HDD: Deepcool Icedisk 2 Link: http://www.deepcoolglobal.com/Product/ICEDISK2/

RAM: Deepcool Memo 7 Link: http://www.lelong.com.my/deepcool-memo-7-ram-cooler-I828325B-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

GPU: 3D VGA Cooling (No Link)

So what do you think guys?
Yeah I know it's like not that good in terms of international standards.But here it is considered an ultra high end rig because it is a 3RD WORLD COUNTRY here.

And BTW what FPS can i achieve in future DX11 Games IN MAXED SETTINGS BUT TURNED OFF AA AT 1024x1280
An HD 5770 sounds way better but anymore expense and I WILL GET PWN3D BY MY PARENTS. (Ultra-tight student budget)
and yes i am going to use this for gaming

Cheers,

Solution
You can also save money on the CPU cooler cause current AMD coolers have copper heat pipes and are just as good as the aftermarket unless you want to overclock like hell.

Also, what country are you in? I'm an American living in China for the last 2 years. Some parts are super cheap and easy to find, but most high end parts have to be ordered from Newegg.com.cn or taobao.com. So I know about budget building because I prefer to buy locally than risk stuff in the mail at high prices.

My system, I did not buy any aftermarket coolers or crap I didn't need. I went with the x4 965 4-core 3.4Ghz, and I am running it smoothly at 3.8GHz on the stock cooler.

Also, I installed the Kingston DDR3-1333 2GB sticks times 4 (8GB total). So I spent...

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
You can also save money on the CPU cooler cause current AMD coolers have copper heat pipes and are just as good as the aftermarket unless you want to overclock like hell.

Also, what country are you in? I'm an American living in China for the last 2 years. Some parts are super cheap and easy to find, but most high end parts have to be ordered from Newegg.com.cn or taobao.com. So I know about budget building because I prefer to buy locally than risk stuff in the mail at high prices.

My system, I did not buy any aftermarket coolers or crap I didn't need. I went with the x4 965 4-core 3.4Ghz, and I am running it smoothly at 3.8GHz on the stock cooler.

Also, I installed the Kingston DDR3-1333 2GB sticks times 4 (8GB total). So I spent about $150 on the CPU and about $85 on RAM. Then I got 2 WD10EALS 1TB drives for about $100 total. Got a Pioneer DVD Dual Layer burner for $20 (OEM packaging). The board I went with was the Asus M4A88T-M for around $80. The only thing I spend a lot of money on was the video card, I wanted the HIS HD6850, but couldn't get one locally. I know in the UK and US the Zotac GTX465 is very over-priced... however in China I got one for $155. The power supply I got was the Cooler Master Extreme 550w ($35), and the case was the Cooler Master Elite 360 (around $35).

So the approximate total converted from Chinese RMB to USD $ was around $660

And the performance so far has been great. I can even play Crysis Warhead @ 1920x1080 with the highest settings and AA set to 2x... never tried higher yet. The machine runs smoothly with Windows 7 Ultimate x64... no issues yet!

But you could go with 4GB of RAM and a HD6850 easily and lower the price a little.

Solution

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
BTW, The Cooler Master case is very well ventilated, and comes with a silent 120mm fan. The only issue is, if you get a Power Supply that is too big, you need to make sure the video card has the power connector on the top, not the back... or the video card would be too long for the case and would get in the way of the PSU.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
"What do you think of this gaming rig?"

^I think its a very unbalanced and poorly designed gaming rig.
-8GB is way to much, drop it to 4
-You don't need GPU, RAM, or HDD cooling...you need a solid CPU cooler and a good case.
-Spend that money on a better GPU for a true performance increase.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011

8GB is way too much? How so? LOL :pt1cable: If all you want to do is play games and nothing else, 2GB is still fine. But if you ever want to do anything else with your system, like x264 encoding, might as well get as much RAM as you can afford, especially if it's on sale. And if you plan to run a lot of things in the background, the more memory the better.

Is $80-100 a waste of money for 8GB of RAM? I can remember paying $100 for a single 256MB RAM when XP came out. LOL :bounce:

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-Your arguement is really stupid/irrelavant. The OP said he wants a computer for GAMING, he didn't say he was going to use it for x264 encoding or other stuff, he said GAMING.

-2GB is absolutly not enough for gaming especially if you are using Vista or 7, 4GB is the best.

-"Might as well as much RAM as you can afford" ...uhm no, if he gets 4GB and spents the money saved on a better GPU, the performance increase will be much more. If I go by your arguement I'd be getting a Pentium I 500Mhz processor, an NVIDIA 6 series card from the 90's and getting 16 or 24GB of ram...nice huh?

I agree with this. 8GB sounds nice, hell I want 8GB but thats because I do more than just game, but if you are gaming then go for 4GB and try to move to a quad core CPU at least. A dual core will bottleneck you with current gen GPUs and as well even though it might unlock to a quad, there is no gurantee.

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
dunno about dollars but i recently picked up a good am3 mobo, phenom x4 II 970 BE and 4gb corsair XMS3 for about £250 , which according to google is about $396. but take into account that prices in the uk are way steeper than most countries so id prob say around $300

kinth

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
here(south africa) you can get the 955 for 1390 zar the 1055t is 1805 zar thats a 415 South African rands = 60.975535 U.S. dollars so u see its almost the same price as a 965 tho but still about 30 usd diff ( 965 -> 1055t).
the 1055t here is the same price as the 970 BE, i went with the 970 though as i prefer a higher clock speed over 2 cores i will hardly ever use, most programs are not optimized for 4 cores let alone 6, also i get the added options of the BE if i ever need to oveclock

the 970 is £149.96
the 1055t is £149.46

the the 1055t is actually cheaper by 50p Which is naff all in english currency

ofcousre if you have the money go for an intel, but unfortunately im always poor and seem to always be building on a budget machine :(

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I wouldn't be surprised if in one year you will want to upgrade to 8GB of ram, and wish you had did it sooner. And I DID recommend a 4 core... believe I said 965 BE. And I did also say... he could go with 4GB ram and get a better video card. I still don't see the unbalanced side of this. :pt1cable:

G33K707

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
@1965ohio

Thanks for the the replies.
Yeah I will just buy an HD 5770 instead of the HD 5670.
I would have followed the advice of you and the other members but I am only limited to buying parts locally here in the Philippines and those other parts you recommend me to buy are not available. (I don't have pay-pal or visa because I am younger than you think)

Sorry for the Noobness

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Age doesn't matter. Just get the best you can locally. Maybe Philippines is like China when it comes to tech. China makes all the hi-tech stuff, but the local shops don't sell any 4 core CPUs, high end video cards, or even power supplies over 500W. I bought the better stuff, but I ordered it with a local vendor, then paid cash.

Just like China makes all the shoes, but I am a size US 11, and in all of the Chinese shops, size 9 is the best they can do. And to make matters worse, I see people all day with shoes bigger than mine and wonder how the hell they get them? LOL

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

Why would he regret not getting it sooner...ram only gets cheaper and better with time.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Really? DDR2 prices are going back up around me. Also, what if the models you bought now are not made in a year or 2... you want to mix and match different brands, models, timings or speed? How is that logical? Just buy a whole new computer? LOL

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
^you dont need to mix and match, in the future prices are going to go down drastically so there wont be a reason to mix/match, just buy a whole new kit. Ram prices are plummeting a lot, and the performance of current ram might be a joke compared to ram in a few years anyway.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Ram prices might be going down for DDR3, but if you got DDR2/DDR or even SDRAM, seems like the prices shot back up. Don't know what it's like in the states right now since I been abroad for 2 years. But my original post also did clearly say 4GB is fine... but if you have the chance to max it out, I still don't see why that is an issue. Maybe he isn't going to do encoding, but the games aren't getting any less hungry for RAM also. No need to argue about that anyways, the sticks I bought were only like $20 each. $80 is a waste of money for 8GB of RAM? That extra $40 is not going to make a huge difference for the entire budget at this point. Most idiots will just buy the fastest memory and pay $80 for 4GB total for an even less substantial speed increase.

By your argument, I should buy a new RAM kit every time prices fall again too. Let's say a DDR4 comes out next year, but you don't want a new MB and setup, are you telling me DDR3 will still go down? So in a year it'll be like $20 for 8GB? LOL :D

Anyways, this is a non-issue. Get the best of everything your budget will allow. If you aren't into upgrading constantly and live in a place where the latest stuff isn't always reasonable, just get what you can and forget about it for a year or two. If you like to upgrade constantly, then it doesn't matter how much of anything you get.

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
blackhawk... see the best answer he selected... read the last line where I recommended less ram and a better video card. Then stop arguing with me, ok?

"But you could go with 4GB of RAM and a HD6850 easily and lower the price a little."

1965ohio

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I told him I have 8 gigs, and it works good for me. But the last line states that 4 gigs is enough and will allow him to get a better GPU. You are the one who jumped out about some unbalanced crap. I am not recommending he get a crappy GPU then a lot of RAM. I was recommending if he could afford both to get both. How am I arguing with myself. Seems clear you are arguing with me.

I think perhaps you did not read every line of my original posts before you started making comments. Don't worry, happens to me a lot in the last 2 days. Perhaps I should just say the same sentences over and over so people can see them.

TRENDING THREADS