Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New to ssd drives

Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 5:33:49 PM

Was wondering what is all the fuss about what is a ssd and what does it really do isn't it the same as a hdd?

More about : ssd drives

January 30, 2013 5:46:45 PM

zeriasis said:
Was wondering what is all the fuss about what is a ssd and what does it really do isn't it the same as a hdd?

Easy... Its much faster.
Access times, Read times, Write Times, across the board faster.
m
l

Best solution

January 30, 2013 5:47:17 PM

SSDs do the same thing as a traditional hard drive, they store data. The difference is that they are 1. more expensive, 2. much faster, and 3. more durable. They have no moving parts so they can be shaken around and dropped and still function where a traditional hard drive is much more likely to fail. As far as performance goes, the most noticeable difference is boot up time, instead of waiting between 45 seconds-3 minuets, you can boot in around 20 seconds. Also load times of anything on the SSD will be faster.
Related resources
January 30, 2013 5:50:08 PM

Ok so it would be wise to get a ssd and use it as a hdd or?
m
l
a c 542 G Storage
January 30, 2013 6:03:32 PM

zeriasis said:
Ok so it would be wise to get a ssd and use it as a hdd or?

Correct. Just connect it in AHCI mode (in your motherboard's BIOS), and run WEI (Windows Experience Index) to disable defrag.
After that just use it the same way you would a HDD.
m
l
a c 89 G Storage
January 30, 2013 6:03:59 PM

Yes, the speed increase is worth the price.
The only drawback to this is price. It is expensive if you need a lot of storage. The fix here it to get a SSD (maybe 128 or 240GB) for the OS and a few applications, and then use a HDD for data.
m
l
January 31, 2013 8:58:38 PM

So use the SSD for the OS and Programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop and Video games?
m
l
January 31, 2013 9:08:49 PM

Dereck47 said:
Correct. Just connect it in AHCI mode (in your motherboard's BIOS), and run WEI (Windows Experience Index) to disable defrag.
After that just use it the same way you would a HDD.

What is ACHI mode? Like what does it stand for. The WEI To disable frag? I do not have a SSD I'm just wanting information :D 
m
l
a c 542 G Storage
January 31, 2013 10:29:47 PM

zeriasis said:
What is ACHI mode? Like what does it stand for. The WEI To disable frag? I do not have a SSD I'm just wanting information :D 

SATA ports can have 3 settings (modes): IDE, AHCI, & RAID. SSDs need to be in AHCI mode for best performance.
Here's additional info on AHCI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_I...

SSDs should not be defragged. SSDs have no moving parts so they do not need to be defragged like HDDs.
When you run WEI, Windows will automatically disable defrag on all SSDs it detects.
m
l
February 1, 2013 4:59:37 AM

That's interesting I might have to look to upgrade to one of those in the future.
m
l
February 8, 2013 6:10:27 PM

Comparing HD to SSD is like comparing a record player to a MP3 player. When you take the mechanical parts out of the equation the only thing slowing you down is how fast the electrons can move.
m
l
February 15, 2013 12:31:14 AM

Best answer selected by zeriasis.
m
l
!