Solved

New to ssd drives

Was wondering what is all the fuss about what is a ssd and what does it really do isn't it the same as a hdd?
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about drives
  1. zeriasis said:
    Was wondering what is all the fuss about what is a ssd and what does it really do isn't it the same as a hdd?

    Easy... Its much faster.
    Access times, Read times, Write Times, across the board faster.
  2. Best answer
    SSDs do the same thing as a traditional hard drive, they store data. The difference is that they are 1. more expensive, 2. much faster, and 3. more durable. They have no moving parts so they can be shaken around and dropped and still function where a traditional hard drive is much more likely to fail. As far as performance goes, the most noticeable difference is boot up time, instead of waiting between 45 seconds-3 minuets, you can boot in around 20 seconds. Also load times of anything on the SSD will be faster.
  3. Ok so it would be wise to get a ssd and use it as a hdd or?
  4. zeriasis said:
    Ok so it would be wise to get a ssd and use it as a hdd or?


    Correct. Just connect it in AHCI mode (in your motherboard's BIOS), and run WEI (Windows Experience Index) to disable defrag.
    After that just use it the same way you would a HDD.
  5. Yes, the speed increase is worth the price.
    The only drawback to this is price. It is expensive if you need a lot of storage. The fix here it to get a SSD (maybe 128 or 240GB) for the OS and a few applications, and then use a HDD for data.
  6. So use the SSD for the OS and Programs like Dreamweaver and Photoshop and Video games?
  7. Dereck47 said:
    Correct. Just connect it in AHCI mode (in your motherboard's BIOS), and run WEI (Windows Experience Index) to disable defrag.
    After that just use it the same way you would a HDD.


    What is ACHI mode? Like what does it stand for. The WEI To disable frag? I do not have a SSD I'm just wanting information :D
  8. zeriasis said:
    What is ACHI mode? Like what does it stand for. The WEI To disable frag? I do not have a SSD I'm just wanting information :D


    SATA ports can have 3 settings (modes): IDE, AHCI, & RAID. SSDs need to be in AHCI mode for best performance.
    Here's additional info on AHCI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Host_Controller_Interface

    SSDs should not be defragged. SSDs have no moving parts so they do not need to be defragged like HDDs.
    When you run WEI, Windows will automatically disable defrag on all SSDs it detects.
  9. That's interesting I might have to look to upgrade to one of those in the future.
  10. Comparing HD to SSD is like comparing a record player to a MP3 player. When you take the mechanical parts out of the equation the only thing slowing you down is how fast the electrons can move.
  11. Best answer selected by zeriasis.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Storage