Solved

HD PC (maybe HTPC?)

We have an HD video camera and I'm looking to build a computer that I can play and store the HD movies on. But I'm wanting to display the video on my HD tv and not really the computer monitor.

I've been doing a little research and have decided on the following components to the best of my knowledge. What I was hoping was for confirmation from you in the know as to whether or not this will give me the results I'm looking for? I won't be gaming at all but I all I want is to be able to play the movies at a quality HD level.

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6
XFX HD-567X-ZNF3
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4 GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, total 4 GB
(2) Seagate Barracuda ST3160318AS 160 GB in a RAID 0 for OS
(3) Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB in a RAID 5 for data/video
Antec BP550 Plus

My biggest concerns are:

Is this enough power supply for the video card and 5 drives and the 6 core proc? Is this a decent video card for playing HD video on a TV?

Any suggestions are welcome although I am trying to keep this build as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing quality.

I haven't spec'd a case but I don't need it to be flashy. I might try to reuse a case I have.

Thanks for your help.
8 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about maybe htpc
  1. Best answer
    For what you've described, the 6-core and video card are not needed. I suggest you drop to a dual or tri core processor and use the excellent onboard video that comes with the 880G.

Also, I suggest you drop the 160x2 RAID setup and just get a Samsung F4 320GB hard drive. BTW, yes the power supply is plenty big enough.

My 2¢
  2. If I may ask, why a Samsung F4?
  3. It's a newer 7200 rpm drive that has a very dense platter design and is quiet according to reviews. Other good choices are the WD Black 640GB or Samsung F3 500GB drives.
  4. Thanks for your input.
  5. Best answer selected by absolutezero273c.
  6. Sorry. One last question. Trying to select a fan for this setup and having difficulty. Found this one and wondered if it really was as bad as the reviews say?: ZALMAN CNPS10X
  7. That is a nice tower heatsink, but keep in mind that with an AMD setup it will have to be mounted so that it points towards the top of the case. You'll see a lot of people complaining about this configuration because it usually means the heatsink will sit over the RAM slots.

Are you planning to overclock? A big aftermarket heatsink is really only needed if you plan to overclock. Your processor will come with a stock fan that should do the job at stock speeds.
  8. No. I'm not planning on overclocking. I did see in the reviews of this fan that it would interfere with certain types of memory.

I didn't realize the stock fan would be sufficient.

Is the stock fan going to be loud? I was hoping to find something relatively quiet as this will be in my living room.

Thanks, again.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Video HD Systems Product