Sign in with
Your question
Solved

HD PC (maybe HTPC?)

Last response: in Systems
October 22, 2010 8:32:50 PM

We have an HD video camera and I'm looking to build a computer that I can play and store the HD movies on. But I'm wanting to display the video on my HD tv and not really the computer monitor.

I've been doing a little research and have decided on the following components to the best of my knowledge. What I was hoping was for confirmation from you in the know as to whether or not this will give me the results I'm looking for? I won't be gaming at all but I all I want is to be able to play the movies at a quality HD level.

GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H
AMD Phenom II X6
XFX HD-567X-ZNF3
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4 GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, total 4 GB
(2) Seagate Barracuda ST3160318AS 160 GB in a RAID 0 for OS
(3) Western Digital Caviar Black 640 GB in a RAID 5 for data/video
Antec BP550 Plus

My biggest concerns are:

Is this enough power supply for the video card and 5 drives and the 6 core proc? Is this a decent video card for playing HD video on a TV?

Any suggestions are welcome although I am trying to keep this build as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing quality.

I haven't spec'd a case but I don't need it to be flashy. I might try to reuse a case I have.

Thanks for your help.

More about : htpc

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
October 22, 2010 9:13:03 PM

For what you've described, the 6-core and video card are not needed. I suggest you drop to a dual or tri core processor and use the excellent onboard video that comes with the 880G.

Also, I suggest you drop the 160x2 RAID setup and just get a Samsung F4 320GB hard drive. BTW, yes the power supply is plenty big enough.

My 2ยข
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 23, 2010 3:22:45 AM

It's a newer 7200 rpm drive that has a very dense platter design and is quiet according to reviews. Other good choices are the WD Black 640GB or Samsung F3 500GB drives.
m
l
October 26, 2010 11:54:52 PM

Best answer selected by absolutezero273c.
m
l
October 30, 2010 3:11:49 PM

Sorry. One last question. Trying to select a fan for this setup and having difficulty. Found this one and wondered if it really was as bad as the reviews say?: ZALMAN CNPS10X
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2010 3:24:30 PM

That is a nice tower heatsink, but keep in mind that with an AMD setup it will have to be mounted so that it points towards the top of the case. You'll see a lot of people complaining about this configuration because it usually means the heatsink will sit over the RAM slots.

Are you planning to overclock? A big aftermarket heatsink is really only needed if you plan to overclock. Your processor will come with a stock fan that should do the job at stock speeds.
m
l
October 30, 2010 5:11:33 PM

No. I'm not planning on overclocking. I did see in the reviews of this fan that it would interfere with certain types of memory.

I didn't realize the stock fan would be sufficient.

Is the stock fan going to be loud? I was hoping to find something relatively quiet as this will be in my living room.

Thanks, again.

m
l
!