Sign in with
Your question

Better cooling for GTX260?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 10:47:52 PM

Hey guys, I just started running 2 EVGA GTX260 Core 216 in SLI and overclocking them as far as they will go stable. My temperatures on graphic intense games hit 85 or so and its not even a hot day out. Before with a single card they were lower. I was wondering if there are any cheep heat sinks I can get for around $25-30 a piece because would have to get two that would be better then stock ones. Also I have great air flow in my case with 80mm fan right on top of the SLI bridge and another 120 front fan feeding air directly to the cards with no hard drives or anything in the way. Both cards are running fans at 100% and I cleaned the dust as much as I could out of them.

If there isn't anything that cheep whats the cheapest option I have that would make a difference? Any suggestions appreciated.

More about : cooling gtx260

a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 11:05:32 PM

85 is perfectly normal for SLI GTX260s, no need to worry.
If its older cards, you could reapply the TIM, for heatsinks, there isnt lots of choices.

Honestly, selling both and getting GTX460s is gonna be your best bet.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 11:09:20 PM

I'm in the same boat as you, with my case I cannot put my second card in the third SLI slot that my motherboard offers, thus I cannot use a aftermarkcooler that would make the card thicker, any that I have found that are decent do this.

If you want to know my clocks...
274/1451/1050. I set my fans to 100 percent when I game. I never really go above 80 degrees, I have no artifacting or overheating issues. Mine are NOT core 216, however.
m
l
Related resources
September 3, 2010 11:27:58 PM

Timop said:
85 is perfectly normal for SLI GTX260s, no need to worry.
If its older cards, you could reapply the TIM, for heatsinks, there isnt lots of choices.

Honestly, selling both and getting GTX460s is gonna be your best bet.

Selling used vid cards is a pain without a hefty discount. I just don't have any loot right now thus trying to find cheep cooling solution. Plus I am satisfied with performance just was looking for some extra cooling.

Helltech said:
I'm in the same boat as you, with my case I cannot put my second card in the third SLI slot that my motherboard offers, thus I cannot use a aftermarkcooler that would make the card thicker, any that I have found that are decent do this.

If you want to know my clocks...
274/1451/1050. I set my fans to 100 percent when I game. I never really go above 80 degrees, I have no artifacting or overheating issues. Mine are NOT core 216, however.

Did you mean 674/1451/1050? My clocks as they stand for gaming are 711/1533/1250 just for reference,

Also I should mention that PCI slot fans probably won't help because both cards are in-closed in plastic plus my bottom card doesn't even have any more PCI slots under it. I guess I'm just gonna have to crank my AC up till things in the pesky outside cool down.

m
l
a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 11:39:24 PM

Yes sorry, 674 :p .

If I put mine past 680 I artifact, be glad you have the 216 versions.

Those are pretty high clocks for SLI, if you have heat problems turn them down a little bit. Doesn't seem like you will be able to use any aftermarket coolers.
m
l
!