Mcp61pm-hm radeon cards HD 4870 x2

FrankCerank

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Hello,
I have a HP a6622f, it has an AMD Phenom x3 core with a MCP61PM-HM motherboard, I just got a ATI Radeon HD4870 X2 Card for basically nothing, WIll my system run this card if i upgrade my PSU?

Helltech

Distinguished
What Phenom is that? And yes you would need a PSU upgrade, the card will fit in the motherboard, though.

EDIT - Screw it, who cares if that Phenom bottlenecks it, you already got the card for basically nothing as you said.

Yes the card will work, just upgrade your PSU, tell us your budget on it and we can find you a decent one.

FrankCerank

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010

I'm looking to spend around 100 on the PSU, Quick question, I popped the card in before i Can hear it running but Windows 7 doesn't seem to be picking it up, any reason?

FrankCerank

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Never mind, I"m a no0b with these newer generation GPUs, I didn't realize the GPU required the 8 and 6 pin power connectors, I simply had it hooked up to the PCI Express Slot alone, I guess it just powered up the fan and some LEDS.... Thanks for the information above, I ordered that PSU.. Now the hard part.... Waiting for shipping.

FrankCerank

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Alright, I got the new PSU swapped it out and reconnected everything.... The same thing is still happening, The GPU is running but my bios is still choosing the on board video processor instead of the PCI-E, I went into the bios setup and choose PCI-E as the Primary Video Adapter but I don't get anything off the Radeon... The On board video is still being used... Any thoughts?

FrankCerank

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2010
Alright I got everything working, The SATA Ports are in a real bad location on my board, My DVD Rom is connected to my second SATA Port and that's exactly where the back of the 4870x2 lines up in the back... The card appeared to be seated all the way in the PCI-E slot but when I removed the cable from the SATA port and reinstalled the card everything came up.... So 3 out of my 4 SATA inputs are blocked by the massive Radeon 4870x2 I reconnected the DVD rom and just slightly bent the connector out of the way.. either that or use my PCI Sata card which I used to use for flashing xboxs... Seems to work for now.. Damn pre-manufactured PCs, if I didn't get it for free I'd be a sucker... Next Time i'm starting from scratch..

Helltech

Distinguished

Hey I'm glad you got it all working. You can look into buying some sata cables with right angle L connectors instead of the straight ones.