VAIO touchpad not detected!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibby

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2005

I have the same problem and it started happening after reinstalling
WinXP. I have all the updated drivers already (cause it worked when I
did a fresh format and install with XP a year ago). My touchpad
wouldn't work, USB mouse does work though. I checked my BIOS, can't
find any function with Legacy, closest thing in there is Plug and Play
on/off. But I tried both on and off already, still a no go with the
touchpad! I looked in the Device Manager (Show Hidden Devices), I see
under mouse there's an exclamation mark on the PS/2. My computer is a
VAIO SR19GT just for someone that wants to help me. After reading
many articles online, I suspect BIOS have something to do with it, I
will try going back to W2K BIOS (original from recover disc) tonight.
But I'm welcoming all suggestions cause I really need help!

On the side, in winXP, we are suppose to be able to detect network
cards (those common D-Link ones), but after the installing, along with
teh not detected touchpad, doesn't seem to automatically install
driver, but I can do it manually. But I remember it use to at least
detect and getting working before!

"Bibby" <makingsley@gmail.com> wrote in message
|I have the same problem and it started happening after reinstalling
| WinXP. I have all the updated drivers already (cause it worked when I
| did a fresh format and install with XP a year ago). My touchpad
| wouldn't work, USB mouse does work though. I checked my BIOS, can't
| find any function with Legacy, closest thing in there is Plug and Play
| on/off. But I tried both on and off already, still a no go with the
| touchpad! I looked in the Device Manager (Show Hidden Devices), I see
| under mouse there's an exclamation mark on the PS/2. My computer is a
| VAIO SR19GT just for someone that wants to help me. After reading
| many articles online, I suspect BIOS have something to do with it, I
| will try going back to W2K BIOS (original from recover disc) tonight.
| But I'm welcoming all suggestions cause I really need help!

Before fiddling with the BIOS (which you may be shooting yourself in the
foot by going backward as there are many issues addressed in updated BIOS'
for Windows XP)...

Suggestion: Double-click on the entry for PS/2 and tell us what Device
Manager tells you what's wrong. Your touchpad should be detected as a PS/2
mouse and the exclamation point tells me there's probably something wrong
with the driver.

PS/2 devices are legacy devices and, as such, are not always plug & play.
Look on Sony's support site for an updated Touchpad driver for your computer
(which may do the auto-detect mumbo-jumbo for you). Otherwise, you're
probably going to have to go the route of the manual install from the Add
New Hardware Wizard (let it run it's scan and then tell it you want to
install a new device and go through the script to select the device and
manually select the driver for it).

| On the side, in winXP, we are suppose to be able to detect network
| cards (those common D-Link ones), but after the installing, along with
| teh not detected touchpad, doesn't seem to automatically install
| driver, but I can do it manually. But I remember it use to at least
| detect and getting working before!

If Windows XP doesn't have an in-built driver for your card, you're going to
need to use the CD that came with it. This would especially be the case if
the card was released any time around or after the time Windows XP first
appeared on the scene.

Jef