Sign in with
Your question

Fan Controller Question

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2011 11:26:05 AM

I recently used an old P4 Prescott system as a HTPC. It does what I need it to do, however the fan is a little too noisy as it hums over movies unless the TV volume is up.

I purchased one of these coolers:

http://www.deepcool-us.com/Product/WARRIOR_CAESAR/

It was cheap and is definitely quieter then the stock cooler, however, my motherboard (Jetway PM9MS) has no methods of regulating fan control. Speedfan doesn't work, there are no bios options, the fan is always spinning at 100%, and it is still a little noisy. The P4 is cool (30 odd degrees celsius), so I want to buy a fan controller to manually dial back the fan to quieten the system down.

Will something cheap like this work:

http://www.aywun.com/ProductDetails.asp?ID=95

I don't want to order one if it won't work with my cooler, or if I won't be able to adjust the fan speed.
January 16, 2011 12:02:11 PM

Most likely it will. I also the use zalman fanmate rpm adjusters. Be sure the deepcool heatsink has a 3 pin lead; can't tell from the photos. The 4 pin leads on some cpu heatsinks won't fit the adapter.
m
l
January 16, 2011 12:06:13 PM

Yeah it's a 3 pin cable, awesome, yeah if I can find the fanmate I'd rather get that, Zalman is more of a reputable brand.

Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 12:19:23 PM

o1die said:
Most likely it will. I also the use zalman fanmate rpm adjusters. Be sure the deepcool heatsink has a 3 pin lead; can't tell from the photos. The 4 pin leads on some cpu heatsinks won't fit the adapter.

Also, I checked out the Zalman page, and it says for the Fan Mate 2:

Quote:
Do not use FAN MATE 2 with fans that have a start up voltage of more than 5V. Please check the start up voltage in the specifications of the fan.

The DeepCool site says for my fan:

Quote:
Starting Voltage - 7VDC

Does that mean I can't buy a Fan Mate 2 for my fan because the starting voltage is too high? Any way around this?
m
l
January 16, 2011 2:17:06 PM

You may be right. I've never tried it with that spec. The deepcool is actually easier to use as the adjuster knob is on the back of the case; the fanmate would have to be adjusted with the side of the case off.
m
l
!