hikerlt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
New Build - have a problem.

running windows 7 ultimate.

build is based on Techo's game build favorite

I5 processor
Gigabyte Mbd GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 motherboard

After increasing the memory from 8G ( 2x4g Gskill ripjaws F3-8500CL-7D-*GBRL) ddr3 up to 16 G ( all 4 DDR3 dimms installed) now keep getting blue screen crashes.

running the windows memory test on initial boot up - get "hardware failures"

I then reduced the memory to just 2 DDR3 dimms installed, and the bootup windows memory testing passes. Cycled thru all 4 of the DDR3 memory modules, and they all pass as long as only 8G in the mother board.

fail memtest w/16G, pass w/ 8G

SO...I'm assuming the mother board is bad....

Any suggestions before I send it back...should I increase the memory voltage when all 4 DDR3 are inserted ?

??

beenthere

Distinguished
It's most likely the DIMMs you added not the mobo. Adding RAM even of the same model is not guaranteed to function without issues. The only means to be certain that the DIMMs will function without issue is to buy ONE matched, tested RAM kit, not two kits or multiple DIMMs of the same part number.

You can check the DIMM voltage in BIOS to confirm that it is set properly. Upping the voltage may help - all you can do is try it. You also might be able to manually slow the RAM frequency or latencies and get the four DIMMs to work but there is no guarantee.

hikerlt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
But how could it be the DIMMs - as I stated, I tested ALL 4 of the dimms, by cycling them through the 2 dimm, 8 Gb configuration - and they all pass. in this mode.

It's when I use all 4 together, in the 16 Gb config, using all 4 memory dimm slots on the motherboard, is when I get the failures.

That is why I am suspecting the motherboard.

Also - I don't think they sell the Gskill Ripjaws dimms as a 4 piece, 16 Gb package, but I'll look.( Edit - yes, new egg DOES sell a 4 dimm package for the 4x4G = 16G total)...but i'm hoping not to have to return the (2) 2-dimm pacjages and pay restocking fee to get 1 package of 4 dimms....

bilbat

Splendid
Go into the BIOS' memory page, increase tRFC 15%, rounded UP to the next integer; check that CMD (Command Rate) is at 2, and bump the ram voltage a tad. Any time you're running two DIMMs per channel, these adjustments are needed. The SPD on the DIMM is optimized for a single DIMM per channel - and I've yet to see a set of four that actually had the SPDs modified to enable their use!

G

If you have a area in bois that allows you to change the voltage; and a area right below it to change lane voltage that might work for you. Example: on 1366socket ud version ajust memory voltage to 1.68 even tho memory stated 1.66 then hit down arrow until one gets to A channel ajust to .78 then hit down arrow two times until one is at B channel leave one auto then hit down arrow two more times until one is at C channel ajust to .78. Make sure command rate is at 2 or 3 if you have 3 go with it sometimes new boards that support ddr3 like a command rate of 2 to begin with which would lead to the thoery that one can run that way all the time and why would'nt one do that it is faster to run at a command rate of two and believe it or not you probably could run at that with all sticks read but you would have to know the full list on the stepping, turnaround values and everything else that goes along with the full cycle the memory takes. And as with all things computer overclocking will cause a failure of memory sticks to be read,just as with a pci express lane increase causing a failure of the graphic card being completely ative.

Most of the time in 4x4GB it's the VCCIO Voltage {QPI/Vtt Voltage} and the IMC is struggling.

F3-8500CL7D-8GBRL or F3-8500CL7D-16GBRL are DDR3-1066 7-7-7-18-2N @ 1.50v (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS-CMD)

In the BIOS:
QPI/Vtt Voltage -> 1.125v~1.20v ; or the closest values available in the menu.
DRAM Voltage -> 1.50v~1.55v ; only raise if VCCIO fails to solve the problem.

Verify Memory Frequency (MHz) = 1066, and adjust the System Memory Multiplier if it does not.

Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.) -> Disabled ; Do not use XMP.

Save & Exit = Yes

hikerlt

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Despite all of the voltage settings, could never get the 4 dimms to work together.

I ended up buying a 4 dimm matched "KIT", and it worked perfectly - absolutely no problems.