Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Will these two cards work in SLI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 3, 2010 11:46:47 PM

Hey guys I have a quick question. I recently purchased one of the new Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC cards from Newegg and am loving it. You can see the card in the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My question is will the Gigabyte card work with the PNY Card in the next link?

http://www3.pny.com/GTX-470-1280MB-PCIe-P2876C434.aspx

I bought the Gigabyte GTX 470 when my GTX 285 from BFG broke. Since BFG went out of business I thought that there was no way to get anything from my video card, hence I bought the Gigabyte GTX 470.

I recently found out that PNY is giving 25% off of there cards for owners of BFG cards who RMA their cards with PNY. This means that I could get another GTX 470 for approximately $250.

I know that the Gigabyte card is different from the reference GTX 470 os I was wondering if I could run these two different GTX 470 cards in SLI or would I have to get me another Gigabyte card for SLI?

Thanks,

More about : cards work sli

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
September 3, 2010 11:50:25 PM

Quote:
I recently found out that PNY is giving 25% off of there cards for owners of BFG cards who RMA their cards with PNY. This means that I could get another GTX 470 for approximately $250.

Interesting....

Regardless how are the cards different? Even if they have different stocks you can SLI them together. As long as the memory and GPU are the same you are fine.
Related resources
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 4, 2010 10:12:46 AM

palitusa said:
You can but it can be unstable.

http://forums.legitreviews.com/about10308.html

That's a link to a three year old thread discussing cards prom a previous generation, a time at which I still had a rig with SLi'd 7900GT's from different manufactures which had different clock speeds and no instability problems.
Score
September 4, 2010 11:30:46 AM

Brand makes no difference so long as the GPU models are the same. As Helltech mentioned, memory should be the same, too. Otherwise, one card won't use all it's memory.

On an aside, BFG may not be in the graphics card business anymore, but they haven't completely dissolved. They should still honor your warranty.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 4, 2010 11:35:35 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Brand makes no difference so long as the GPU models are the same. As Helltech mentioned, memory should be the same, too. Otherwise, one card won't use all it's memory.

On an aside, BFG may not be in the graphics card business anymore, but they haven't completely dissolved. They should still honor your warranty.

Or perhaps not.
Quote:
BFG has officially begun sending out RMA denial letters to their warranty holders. Claim to be “running down business”.

Source.
Score
September 4, 2010 11:45:41 AM

Damn... I missed that news. Thanks for the info MM.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 4, 2010 11:51:21 AM

RazberyBandit said:
Damn... I missed that news. Thanks for the info MM.

No worries mate, it's not the best news to spread about but it needs to be done if no reason other than to make those with BFG kit aware of the situation.
Score
September 5, 2010 7:27:33 AM

Best answer selected by jmack5864.
Score
a c 171 Î Nvidia
September 5, 2010 9:46:08 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!