Will these two cards work in SLI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmack5864

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hey guys I have a quick question. I recently purchased one of the new Gigabyte GTX 470 SOC cards from Newegg and am loving it. You can see the card in the link below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125338

My question is will the Gigabyte card work with the PNY Card in the next link?

http://www3.pny.com/GTX-470-1280MB-PCIe-P2876C434.aspx

I bought the Gigabyte GTX 470 when my GTX 285 from BFG broke. Since BFG went out of business I thought that there was no way to get anything from my video card, hence I bought the Gigabyte GTX 470.

I recently found out that PNY is giving 25% off of there cards for owners of BFG cards who RMA their cards with PNY. This means that I could get another GTX 470 for approximately $250.

I know that the Gigabyte card is different from the reference GTX 470 os I was wondering if I could run these two different GTX 470 cards in SLI or would I have to get me another Gigabyte card for SLI?

Thanks,

Solution
I recently found out that PNY is giving 25% off of there cards for owners of BFG cards who RMA their cards with PNY. This means that I could get another GTX 470 for approximately $250.

Interesting....

Regardless how are the cards different? Even if they have different stocks you can SLI them together. As long as the memory and GPU are the same you are fine.

Helltech

Distinguished

Interesting....

Regardless how are the cards different? Even if they have different stocks you can SLI them together. As long as the memory and GPU are the same you are fine.

Solution

That's a link to a three year old thread discussing cards prom a previous generation, a time at which I still had a rig with SLi'd 7900GT's from different manufactures which had different clock speeds and no instability problems.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Brand makes no difference so long as the GPU models are the same. As Helltech mentioned, memory should be the same, too. Otherwise, one card won't use all it's memory.

On an aside, BFG may not be in the graphics card business anymore, but they haven't completely dissolved. They should still honor your warranty.

Or perhaps not.
BFG has officially begun sending out RMA denial letters to their warranty holders. Claim to be “running down business”.

Source.

Status
Not open for further replies.