acdcninja

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
hi guys, i currently own an nvidia 9800gtx+ and am looking to upgrade. ive heard some talk about a gtx 475, which would deffinitly be the card for me (if it exists or will exist lol) so i guess my question is. should i just go ahead and buy an evga sc gtx 460, or should i wait till a 475? will it be worth the wait? any info on price performance release date? if any . thanks

Helltech

Distinguished
Well the GTX 475 unfortuanatly is not in the next driver update, so who know when it will come out, could be a long wait.

I wouldn't go with anything less than a 470/5850 as an upgrade from what you have. A GTX 460 is an upgrade but not a huge one, I think you should wait.

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually I just went from an EVGA 9800GTX+ 512mb card to the EVGA GTX460 EE SC and it was a really nice step up. Especially with the overclock potential of the GTX460. My Dragon Age Origins FPS more than doubled.

Remember you have 90 day step up with EVGA. So you have 3 months to decide if it is a big enough boost or if you want a better card. I love EVGA lol.

notty22

Distinguished
A 800mhz gtx 460 is a huge upgrade to a 9800+, here is a review of a 810mhz Zotac,
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_Amp_Edition/
perfrel.gif

edit: Also , IMO, your not going to see the full g104 for a while. It would be a direct competitor of the gtx 470. Not good for business right now.

Helltech

Distinguished
I don't see a 9800GTX+ in that comparision.

Well I guess Tom's need to better refine their tiers. I don't know how they can get off saying there is only a one tier difference if the difference in performance between the two is that huge, and then go on to say you should't upgrade unless there is a three tier difference between the cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-460-radeon-hd-5570-gaming,2697-7.html

notty22

Distinguished
GTS 250 = 9800gtx+

acdcninja

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
thanks for all the replys guys, its helped me a bit, i think your right about the 475 being direct competition to the 470, nvidia would want to sell nearly all there gtx 470's before introducing the 475. and i think the 460 would be a fairly big upgrade, since its nearly the equivilant of the last generation 285. i live in australia too, so i cant buy from newegg, atleast i dont think i can. so for me an evga gtx 460 sc (1gb version btw) will cost me about 300 bucks. ive also considered a radeon hd 5850, but the lowest price for one ive seen over here is $370 and the gtx 470 is way too much $420 upwards... i think i'l grab myself a gtx 460 sc :) besides i have an evga x58 sli micro motherboard, it would complement it nicely :p and i can always sli in the future. im happy as long as i can play crysis 2 at full settings @ 1080p :p

ares1214

Splendid
Well, MSI and Asus are generally the best overclockers due to more level of voltage control.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/msi-geforce-gtx-460-hawk-review/20

Some people have got that to 1000 MHz air, so thats more than a 300 MHz clock increase, vs the normal 200 MHz tops of the other cards. Also, the pre overclocked EVGA cards are like buying the i7 975 over the i7 930. They are just factory overclocked, thats it. They also charge a decent more for them, so even if you do buy an EVGA card, dont buy the highest clocked one.

notty22

Distinguished
I have the msi cyclone version ,and I have followed all the reviews. They all over volt to 1.087 including the Asus, except for the new Hawk version which now goes a little further.
So this more level of voltage control applies to only one model right now. The Hawk.
I've gotten my cyclone 460 to 920/1050.

acdcninja

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
yeah well actually the asus was my first preference, i wanted the asus top gtx 460 this one here http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=UATIvdWePp9oPSIk&templete=2 because of the higher clock speed voltage control and better heat sink, but for some reason i cant buy that, they dont sell it in oz :( ive found it hard to even just find a standard 1gb asus gtx 460. and as for the evga sc, its only $12 more than the standard version 288.95 and the sc is 300.30 so i figure i may as well pay the tiny bit extra for a pre overclocked, anyway i hear that pre overclocked cards are cherry picked, so theyl usually clock slightly higher than standard cards, ofcourse that wouldnt always be true. if anyone knows how i could get my hands on that asus id be real happy though, no one on ebay even has it :(