Sign in with
Your question

Brand New PC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:15:56 AM

Just got my brand new i7 with a Radeon 5870 and figured I would see how the 1080p looked on youtube...well, as soon as I start a videon in 1080 it flashes to a black screen and then goes green and I get a popup:

"Display driver AMD driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered"

Confused as to what this means...my drivers are from 1/13/10, version 8.700.0.0. Is this the issue? Only other thing I've done is update flash so not sure what the issue is but could use some help!

More about : brand

a c 153 U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:17:18 AM

Did you install 10.8 Catalyst and drivers from AMD/ATI?
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:19:32 AM

I haven't updated anything other than Flash. Just go to ATI and download the recommended drivers? Do I have to uninstall the old ones or will it take care of that itself?
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:21:52 AM

You just built a new computer and said you hadn't updated anything, you shouldn't have "old drivers".

But yes, just go to AMD, and look for the newest ATI drivers for your card. Should be 10.8.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:24:14 AM

It's a prebuilt from Dell - didn't build myself.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:26:14 AM

Ugh dell...
Well, you could completely remove all traces of graphics driver with driver sweeper from Guru3d...
uninstall via control panel, boot into safe mode, run driver sweeper, remove ati drivers, boot normally, install newest drivers.

But that probably won't do anything...
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:37:42 AM

Is there anyway to tell what version of Catalyst I currently have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 2:54:34 AM

Although I haven't used catalyst in a while I'd recommend that you look for a 'about' selection in one of the toolbars, It should include the version number and some company info for ATi, It will be in there.
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
September 4, 2010 1:02:20 PM

Yeah, my catalyst version is from Jan 2010 so I guess I just need to update that and it will update the drivers as well. As I mentioned earlier, if I just download through ATI will it take care of everything or do I have to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall yadda yadda?
m
l
!