ASUS M2N MX SE Bottleneck

Hello, I currently have a set up of:

ASUS M2N MX SE mobo
AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core 2.2 (Rated at 4.4?)
2GB (2x1GB) PC5300 DDR2 667 Dual Channel
GeForce 8600GT 1GB PCI EXpress 16X dual head, tv out
600W ATX Power Supply

My Question is, if I were to upgrade my GPU to a radeon 6850 and my ram to 4gb, would I bottleneck the mobo? I was told due to my mobo only being a PCI-E 16, not a PCI-E 2.0 16, it would bottleneck and I would see no advancements.
3 answers Last reply
More about asus bottleneck
  1. vignol91 said:
    I was told due to my mobo only being a PCI-E 16, not a PCI-E 2.0 16, it would bottleneck and I would see no advancements.

Yes, you were told correctly. Upgrade your motherboard before you upgrade your GPU.
  2. Dereck47 said:
    Yes, you were told correctly. Upgrade your motherboard before you upgrade your GPU.

Is there any reason why? For example I also heard that the pci-e 2.0s were back compatible so it would work and make a difference... Basically the reason I'm asking is some people are saying yea it'll be a nice upgrade and work fine, while others are saying you wont notice a difference, and they just truly contradict each other.
  3. Yes it may be backward compatible and work but just be aware that the performance of the card will be at PCIe 1.0. So if your current card is a high-end PCIe 1.0 then you won't notice a difference.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Asus Bottleneck PCI Express