Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Non dual channel kit 2x4GB of RAM in Dual Channel

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
September 17, 2011 1:14:51 AM

Hello,
Please help.
I'm planning to upgrade my ram from 4GB to 8GB and run it in dual channel.
My mother board is P8H61M_LEUSB3
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Int...specifications
My current RAM is KVR1333D3N9/4G
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...KVR1333D3N9/4G

I'm planning to add another KVR1333D3N9/4G 8GB in total and run it in dual channel. Will it be fine?

This confuse me KVR1333D3N9K2/8G -- 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2)
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/conf...Rank&Chip=Chip

Is it always required to buy manufacturer's kit of 2 model in order to run dual channel 8GB in total?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2011 2:34:47 AM

The only guaranteed way to know if RAM will run properly is to buy ONE matched, tested RAM Kit. Using two RAM kits even of the same part number or multiple RAM DIMMs of the same part number is NOT guaranteed to function properly - as many folks have learned the hard way. Some folks do get lucky and are able to use multiple RAM DIMMs/Kits but it's a crapshoot that way, especially with faster DDR3 RAM.
m
0
l
September 17, 2011 2:50:23 AM

I used a Quad channel ram kit with 4 matched modules with consecutive serial numbers with good results in Dual channel. A bit cheaper too.

When Kingston made Hyper X kits that were matched, I learned that they run well. Now I am using Gskill at 2133 and 16/gb and it's quite a ride. I do use a Ballistics fan kit to cool them; just to be on the safe side.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 17, 2011 4:37:24 AM

But if I failed running it on dual channel, will it work for single channel 8GB of RAM in total or my system will not boot at all?
m
0
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
September 17, 2011 4:45:25 AM

There is no way to tell without actually testing it.
m
0
l
September 17, 2011 5:12:48 AM

So what ever the outcome will be, I will still continue purchasing a new stick because RAM price will hike in not so far from now because RAM companies are planning of cutting their production.
m
0
l
September 17, 2011 6:57:50 AM

Just a few years ago, these Rams were fantasy. Even if they were available they would have cost thousands.

We have no idea what the future brings, however I suspect the way Euro and USA are printing money, things are going to collapse to a neutron star and get fab expensive,.... maybe worth killing over.
m
0
l
September 17, 2011 7:29:42 AM

roniellodelmoro said:
But if I failed running it on dual channel, will it work for single channel 8GB of RAM in total or my system will not boot at all?


I've bought identical sticks of RAM at seperate times as you are planning to do now and have always been able to run them in dual channel mode. I've also bought identical pairs of RAM at seperate times and am running all 4 sticks in dual channel mode right now. I've heard of people having issues in these scenarios but have never seen these issues in person. I've always considered those people unlucky rather than me lucky. But, I can only speak for myself with my own personal experiences. You can take my statements with a grain of salt if you like, no hard feelings.

Either way though, if the identical stick you want to add now doesn't work for some reason in dual channel mode with your current stick then it'll still run in single channel mode and you'll have 8GB in single channel mode. You can mix and match different sticks of RAM all day in single channel mode (as long as they're all the same version of RAM like all DDR2 or all DDR3 of course). They don't even have to be matching speeds or brands. RAM is cool like that. The only times I haven't been able to do any of the things I've just stated were caused by bad sticks. And that's only happened twice. Hell, you can run 2 identical sticks (2x1GB) of one brand with a different set of 2 identical sticks (2x512MB) of a different brand and run them all 4 in dual channel mode as long as they're in the correct RAM slots. I do it everyday as part of my job.

If this stuff only works for me, then I guess I'm just the luckiest f*cker in the world. All I can say in defense is that it works for me.


***EDIT***

None of your links work for me. If you can return defective RAM to that vendor, then buy another single stick that's identical to your current RAM and try it. If it doesn't work, RMA it for a refund since it doesn't work. If the vendor doesn't accept returns/RAM's, then you can play it safe and buy the 2 stick kit and find something else to do with your current stick.
m
0
l
September 17, 2011 8:11:49 AM

arson94 said:
I've bought identical sticks of RAM at seperate times as you are planning to do now and have always been able to run them in dual channel mode. I've also bought identical pairs of RAM at seperate times and am running all 4 sticks in dual channel mode right now. I've heard of people having issues in these scenarios but have never seen these issues in person. I've always considered those people unlucky rather than me lucky. But, I can only speak for myself with my own personal experiences. You can take my statements with a grain of salt if you like, no hard feelings.

Either way though, if the identical stick you want to add now doesn't work for some reason in dual channel mode with your current stick then it'll still run in single channel mode and you'll have 8GB in single channel mode. You can mix and match different sticks of RAM all day in single channel mode (as long as they're all the same version of RAM like all DDR2 or all DDR3 of course). They don't even have to be matching speeds or brands. RAM is cool like that. The only times I haven't been able to do any of the things I've just stated were caused by bad sticks. And that's only happened twice. Hell, you can run 2 identical sticks (2x1GB) of one brand with a different set of 2 identical sticks (2x512MB) of a different brand and run them all 4 in dual channel mode as long as they're in the correct RAM slots. I do it everyday as part of my job.

If this stuff only works for me, then I guess I'm just the luckiest f*cker in the world. All I can say in defense is that it works for me.


***EDIT***

None of your links work for me. If you can return defective RAM to that vendor, then buy another single stick that's identical to your current RAM and try it. If it doesn't work, RMA it for a refund since it doesn't work. If the vendor doesn't accept returns/RAM's, then you can play it safe and buy the 2 stick kit and find something else to do with your current stick.


I will post again.
here:
Mother Board:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H6...
My current RAM (1x4GB):
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsi...

The thing that is confusing me is why there are models such as KVR1333D3N9K2/8G [this is a 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM (Kit of 2)] knowing that two KVR1333D3N9/4G (2x4GB) can do the job in dual channel.
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/models...
Why there are 2x4GB=8GB kits? Is that marketing strategy only?
m
0
l

Best solution

September 17, 2011 9:36:02 AM

Considering my past experiences, yes it's just a marketing strategy to me. Like I said though, maybe I'm just the luckiest persono in the world. But I think you can just buy another 4GB stick and be able to run it with your current stick in dual channel mode just fine.

The 2x4GB kits are garaunteed by the manufacturer to work together, but 2 seperate 4GB sticks are not garaunteed. I've just never had a problem myself.
Share
September 19, 2011 2:41:08 AM

I bought my RAM and it worked in dual channel. Thank you guys.
One thing I encountered when buying is that there are sticks that are same manufacturer(Kingston) and model(KVR1333D3N9/4G) but with different part number. Those sticks are different in looks but cheaper. But to be sure, I get the one that is completely identical to my current RAM.
m
0
l
September 19, 2011 2:45:42 AM

Best answer selected by roniellodelmoro.
m
0
l
September 19, 2011 2:59:56 AM

roniellodelmoro said:
I bought my RAM and it worked in dual channel. Thank you guys.
One thing I encountered when buying is that there are sticks that are same manufacturer(Kingston) and model(KVR1333D3N9/4G) but with different part number. Those sticks are different in looks but cheaper. But to be sure, I get the one that is completely identical to my current RAM.


It might look different just because they put a different heatspreader on it but was still the same exact RAM. However, it's possible it was different somehow. Even if it was the exact same RAM with just a different heatspreader, it requires a different part number for database purposes for the vendors and manufacturers to differentiate it from the other RAM so that they don't become the same item for sale if the vendors/manufacturers still have both products simultaneously. You did the better deed by buying the same part that you already had though. I'm glad it worked out of you. Enjoy the new RAM :p 
m
0
l
!