chkdsk \B getting stuck

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Chkdsk
  • Windows Vista
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
January 30, 2013 11:05:39 PM

My dell vista machine stopped booting and using bootable disk and chkdsk /F /S ( it did repaired 1000's of files) , some how I was able to backup of the my data files. but some how it keeps hanging over and over after successfully booting into vista . since it hangs intermittently, I end up doing hard reset. Once I do hard reset, it is a pain to go through safemode cycle.
so I tried to do chkdsk c: /B ( only one drive I had ) , but it hangs after some sectors. I did it one time from sae mode command line and once from vista windows, both cases it gets stuck. chkdsk \F \S does repairs, but chkdsk \B hangs. My question is,
Are there any way HD be restored with out destroying the current vista installation ?
If not, Does reformating the HD and reinstalling vista, will it work?.
is this HD dead, needs HD replacement ?.

More about : chkdsk stuck

Best solution

a b G Storage
January 30, 2013 11:10:56 PM

If thousands of files needed repairing, and you've got a lot of bad sectors, it's probably time to replace the drive. How old is it and how heavily used?
January 30, 2013 11:21:43 PM

around 4 years old machine. primary home machine. reasonably used.
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 30, 2013 11:34:20 PM

I suggest you get a replacement. If it was less than a year old, I'd be worried, but 4 years is a respectable lifespan for a hard drive. If you got a long enough warranty on the Dell, you might be able to get them to replace it for free.
m
l
January 30, 2013 11:42:21 PM

Best answer selected by pxr.
m
l
January 30, 2013 11:43:28 PM

MauveCloud said:
I suggest you get a replacement. If it was less than a year old, I'd be worried, but 4 years is a respectable lifespan for a hard drive. If you got a long enough warranty on the Dell, you might be able to get them to replace it for free.

I don't have warranty any way, will go for new one. Thank you for the suggestion.
m
l
September 5, 2013 7:38:14 AM

a 4 year old hard drive should not cause problems.
That is a very short lifespan.
m
l
!