Sign in with
Your question

Home file server first build

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2013 12:02:39 AM

Hi guys,

I am building a home file server, nothing special just something to share media on my home network. I have picked out a processor and mobo, just not sure about what hdd to choose and the power supply.

For the case i was looking at the Cooler Master Elite 330 Chassis it comes with a 350w psu, its got lots of room for the drives, enough room for a cooling system but i don't know if the 350w will be enough (ideally i would like to have 6 to 7 drives in the server once complete). the mobo has 8 sata ports so i would like to have enough room for future upgrades....thoughts ?

For the motherboard i am thinking the A85XA-G65 mainly because of the 8 sata 3 gb ports, gigabit lan card, USB 3.0 etc... for $120 i thought it was a good choice( maybe overkill)

The cheapest processor that'll go with the mobo is the AMD A4-5300 $54 , it runs at 65w. from what i have read processing power doesn’t really matter too much but this has a bit.

Ram $13: 2G DDR3 1333 Kingston, just standard

HDD i was looking at the Seagate SATA3 3TB for $139 but i've read some bad reviews. for a 3 tb sata 3 that’s very cheap... thoughts ??

As for the cooling system i havent thought much into it, do you think ill need anything too special in there

lemme know what you guys think, any thoughts add-ons or changes would be awesome,

Cheers

Case & psu: http://hothardware.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/...

Mobo :http: //au.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A85XA-G65.html#/?div=CPUSupport

processor:http: //www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681911328...

More about : home file server build

January 31, 2013 12:10:10 AM

I would say get drives that are rated enterprise or server-class, because they will have some sort of vibrational dampening tech, if you want 6-7 there is going to be quite a bit of vibration. I would also go with 4GB of RAM but that's just me, i think all RAM choices are personal preference anyway.
m
l
January 31, 2013 12:46:33 AM

MotherFerJones said:
I would say get drives that are rated enterprise or server-class, because they will have some sort of vibrational dampening tech, if you want 6-7 there is going to be quite a bit of vibration. I would also go with 4GB of RAM but that's just me, i think all RAM choices are personal preference anyway.

awesome thanks. An upgrade of the ram is no biggie, shouldn't cost much at all.

do you think its a good idea to use a drive i have from WD removable hdd as one of the other drives, maybe as one the backup drives depending on what raid i go for ?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 31, 2013 7:28:52 PM

Your spec very good, but way overkill for home server.

Here is the expandable/scable Home server

Any ITX MB build-in CPU, RAM and Intel NIC about $120.00
5x 3TB HDD 140.00/ea
RAID Controller $95.00
Case+PSU: Any can handle 5x 3.5" with PSU 200~250W $35.00
Use FreeNAS, OpenFiler fro Free on USB stick $8.00
Or WHS on 20GB HDD

So 12TB RAID5 Home Server would cost you less than $1000.00

Media Home Server DOES not requires much of CPU or fancy MB. Matter of fact you can use the old door stop system

If you want more detail let me know...

m
l
a b G Storage
February 14, 2013 4:47:00 PM

I think the bigger question here is what kind of OS are you going to be using. That will help you tailor the specs of your system.
m
l
!