USB ports problem

ace123

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I have a Asus p6x58d Premium motherboard on a Cooler Master Haf X case. Just today, after taking my ipod out after moving some stuff on it had, I realized my USB slots fail to read anything on it and says "USB device has malfunctioned".

My build is only six months old. The front case USB slots are malfunctioning as are the two other slots at back of the mobo panel, but the keyboard and mouse USB slots work fine. When I pull the keyboard and mouse out of the fully working USB slots and plug it into any other USB slots, they light up on the back lit led lights they have, but the mouse wont move, the keyboard won't type, and when i plug my external hdd to the two USB slots that the keyboard and mouse were in. They work just fine...

All the USB slots power up and spin the externals and light up the keyboard and mouse, but theres only two USB slots that can get them to be recognized in hardware. All the other USB slots say malfunctioned and wont work. Unfortunately, I dont have the internet at the moment, and my virus definitions have been out of date for a month now.

Is this a motherboard error, a USB driver error or a virus? My two external USB devices are an ipod 80gb and WD Elements 1.5 tb hdd. The keyboard is a Microsoft Sidewinder x6 and the mouse is a Logitech g5.

I bought the WD Elements hdd last week so I'm sure this can't be causing the issue.