I need a Tool to reset all the NTFS folder and file permis..

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.

I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is of
no importance here.

I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn it
off to reveal the problem was

in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.

I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
manually.

I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please explain what I
have to do
to fix it..

THANKS

HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

"kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote in message
> For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.
>
> I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is
> of no importance here.
>
> I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn
> it off to reveal the problem was
>
> in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.
>

> I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
> manually.
>
> I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please explain what
> I have to do
> to fix it..

There is a command line program that will do this: cacls.exe. Help is
available for the Help and Support option from the Start Menu. It is a very
powerful program. If you do not understand the options in Help and Support
then I recommend you don't use it. If you make a mistake the problem could
get worse.

Kerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

This article may help.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=266118

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"kenny" wrote:
| For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.
|
| I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is
of
| no importance here.
|
| I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn
it
| off to reveal the problem was
|
| in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.
|

| I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
| manually.
|
| I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please explain what
| have to do
| to fix it..
|
| THANKS
|

| --
| --
| HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
| Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has
> broke lose.
>
> I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so
> security is of
> no importance here.
>
> I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I
> had to turn it
> off to reveal the problem was
>
> in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on
> the network.
>

> I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to
> do this
> manually.
>
> I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please
> explain what I
> have to do
> to fix it..
>
> THANKS

> HOPE -- Desire and expectation rolled into one.
> Ambrose Bierce1842-1914

You don’t need a tool windows can do this by it’s self. You do
this by opening the properties of a Volume or folder. Go to security,
set the permissons, you want (for the sake of ease, not security)
everyone to READ only. So add everyone, then you want Users to READ
everything. Then you the CREATOR OWNER group to be able to have full
control. The you want the administrator group (not the user, the
group) to have full control. Then to set these permissons for the
whole volume or folder, go to advanced and check "Replace permission
entries on chile objects...". And if you use the power users group you
should also set them to read only (i think). And SYSTEM should also
have full control. The easy way top go is to set everyone to full
control, but thats dangerus. Here is a screen shot i made to help you.
http://sparda.hopto.org/ntfs.JPG

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Configuration-Manage-Tool-reset-NTFS-folder-file-permissions-drive-ftopict423105.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1415769

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:42:53 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:

>For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.
>
>I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is of
>no importance here.
>
>I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn it
>off to reveal the problem was
>
>in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.
>

>I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
>manually.
>
>I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please explain what I
>have to do
>to fix it..
>
>THANKS

Kenny,

I suggested CACLS to you yesterday.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>

Is that a problem? I think it will do what you need.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I look at Cacls on the help and support in windows, also I looked around for
info on it
on the internet. This command line app scares me... If I make a mistake in
the syntax,
who knows what can go wrong. Furthermore I dont know what I have to include
in the
syntax.
If you could provide me of an example of the syntax for making drive F and
user KENNY
accessible to everyone it would be great...

Kenny

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:42:53 +0300, "kenny" <dot@net.biz> wrote:
>
>>For some reason my permirssions are all mixed up and chaos has broke lose.
>>
>>I have 2 computers and want to share files on the newtork, so security is
>>of
>>no importance here.
>>
>>I would think that the simple file sharing would work, but I had to turn
>>it
>>off to reveal the problem was
>>
>>in some ntfs permissions making them invisible when seen on the network.
>>

>>I want a tool to reset all of the permitions so I eont have to do this
>>manually.
>>
>>I would perfer it have a GUI, or if its a command line please explain what
>>have to do
>>to fix it..
>>
>>THANKS
>
> Kenny,
>
> I suggested CACLS to you yesterday.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/09/server-access-authorisation.html>
>
> Is that a problem? I think it will do what you need.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

make a blank file, or use a desktop.ini

get a full version of paragon harddrive partitioning tool (for dos)

boot it up

and get the partition tool to replace $security in the root of each ntfs partition with the blank file or desktop.ini

trust me IT worked,

i had at one time, xp, and had a major reg issue, and had a vista disk to hand, so i installed and got access to my files, repaired the issue, and went back to xp, and found i couldnt remove vista, (permissions.) so i did the above and WHAM no vista or ntfs security/permissions

it will work, 2000% guaranteed,

just make sure its version 8.5 or higher (i know 8.5 works, unsure about higher versions, but it should.)

kind regards,
supermorph ^at^ 5druids DOT com

soroush_srg

Honorable
Dec 13, 2012
Reset Security on all folders
This is in fact a less than optimum method of applying security settings. A more appropriate method is to execute the following command line from the root of the partition:

(Note: If you are not at the root of the partition in question you must set your default there: CD /D drive_name: )

Now the command line:
CACLS * /e /t /c /g Administrators:F System:F

(Note: If you see the message, ''Unable to perform a security operation on an object which has no associated security,'' you are executing this from a FAT partition. You must set the default to an NTFS partition.)

This command will edit (/e) the ACLs, rather than replace them, and recursively apply them (/t) to subdirectories. CACLS will continue (/c) even when it hits an open file. Any number of ACCOUNT:pERM parameters may follow the grant (/g) switch. There is additional flexibility built into the CACLS command-its only limitation is the dearth of selections for PERM (permission levels) values.

shanjones

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
You can also look at re-taking ownership (the Administrators group) under Advanced Security Settings and replacing the sub containers objects

Then forcing down Permissions (or changing them one by one)!

Just an idea, it worked for me when I could not change security permissions on certain files on an external Hard Drive.