Sign in with
Your question

Accidently Bought 1 x 4gb stick......

Last response: in Memory
September 17, 2011 5:33:38 AM

I'm curious as to what type of performance hit I'm going to take accidently buying a single 4gb stick to add to 2 x 2gb for my girlfriends CS5 machine... will the third stick running in single channel have a noticeable performance hit?
September 17, 2011 7:19:30 AM

hasten said:
I'm curious as to what type of performance hit I'm going to take accidently buying a single 4gb stick to add to 2 x 2gb for my girlfriends CS5 machine... will the third stick running in single channel have a noticeable performance hit?

One thing to try before you stick it in the machine you should go into the bios and check the memory setting if its on dual channel or single channel. Its probably on dual channel with two sticks of memory so switch it to single channel and see how the computer acts when you load programs and see if you notice a difference. I am a big gamer and I really noticed a difference when setting my memory to single channel but maybe your girlfriend does other things that won't notice a difference.
m
l
September 17, 2011 2:25:51 PM

Thanks guys. I suspected that it would be trouble. I got such a great deal on it from newegg (18.99 for 1600 ripjaws) I think I'll just hold on to it, or throw it in a build I'm doing for my brother who just does office work and internet. Guess I could do some benchies to see the difference on his machine, the only one I know for memory is aida64 (everest) though.

Next time I'll try not to be drinking as heavily when buying a boatload of components.
m
l
Related resources
a c 106 } Memory
September 17, 2011 3:07:02 PM

hasten said:
Thanks guys. I suspected that it would be trouble. I got such a great deal on it from newegg (18.99 for 1600 ripjaws) I think I'll just hold on to it, or throw it in a build I'm doing for my brother who just does office work and internet. Guess I could do some benchies to see the difference on his machine, the only one I know for memory is aida64 (everest) though.

Next time I'll try not to be drinking as heavily when buying a boatload of components.

Assuming it is compatible, just go ahead and install it.

Check the motherboard manual. Current motherboards will allow the installation of different sized dimms. It will map the total size of the smaller channel for dual channel operation. Any excess will just be in single channel mode. (From my P67-M-PRO manual)

Put your 2 2gb sticks in one channel, and the 4gb stick in the other.

Even then, it is a moot point, you can measure the cpu performance difference with a synthetic benchmark, but will not notice it in real life speeds.
For CS5, lots of ram will be much more important.
Why not get her another at that price? Or 3 more for 16gb?
m
l
September 17, 2011 8:04:05 PM

geofelt said:
Assuming it is compatible, just go ahead and install it.

Check the motherboard manual. Current motherboards will allow the installation of different sized dimms. It will map the total size of the smaller channel for dual channel operation. Any excess will just be in single channel mode. (From my P67-M-PRO manual)

Put your 2 2gb sticks in one channel, and the 4gb stick in the other.

Even then, it is a moot point, you can measure the cpu performance difference with a synthetic benchmark, but will not notice it in real life speeds.
For CS5, lots of ram will be much more important.
Why not get her another at that price? Or 3 more for 16gb?

I threw the 4gb stick in my brothers build, and ran synthetics comparing the dual I had in vs. single stick and the difference was neglible. The synthetic tests actually came up with better results at the faster speed of the single stick. As you said they are synthetics and don't always translate to real life performance, so I'll play with it a bit and see how it feels when running significant memory load. He's not going to be gaming so I can't imagine it will effect him too much.

The sale was a 24 hour blast from newgg or I would buy at least one more.

As of right now I think I'll just put 4 x 2gb in her's(already have 2 x 2gb for it and had 2 x 2gb in his) and 1 x 4gb in his.
m
l
!