Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Updated Mobo BIOS, now computer f***ed

Last response: in Motherboards
September 17, 2011 6:35:08 AM

Stupidly I decided to update my Intel Desktop Board DP67BGB3's BIOS when the old one was somewhat working. So after using the .exe file and rebooting the computer after it tells me it's 'safe' to do, no display, 4 long beeps. Nothing. The beeps went like this: beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, brief pause, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, long pause, repeat the 2 beeps again. According to Intel, it can't detect my display. As obvious as it was, it's not an issue with my separate display card. Unless failed BIOS update is capable of frying Intel's **** built in display as well. Sooooooo much rage for Intel right now.

I tried looking at Intel's troubleshoot for these things:
A. Reseat the graphics card => nothing
B. Remove the battery for 15 minutes to reset BIOS settings => can't tell if it did anything since display can't work
C. Set the BIOS jumper to recovery mode, then try to recover it using a floppy => who the **** still owns a floppy drive nowadays?! Why are we still relying on stone age equivalent of memory storage technology to fix this sort of thing!? *angry grumbles*

Anyway for me to at least get the display back? Or is this BIOS total failure really as stupidly fatal to my computer as it sounds?
September 28, 2011 3:13:47 PM

Skuttle said:
Stupidly I decided to update my Intel Desktop Board DP67BGB3's BIOS when the old one was somewhat working. So after using the .exe file and rebooting the computer after it tells me it's 'safe' to do, no display, 4 long beeps. Nothing. The beeps went like this: beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, brief pause, beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep, long pause, repeat the 2 beeps again. According to Intel, it can't detect my display. As obvious as it was, it's not an issue with my separate display card. Unless failed BIOS update is capable of frying Intel's **** built in display as well. Sooooooo much rage for Intel right now.

I tried looking at Intel's troubleshoot for these things:
A. Reseat the graphics card => nothing
B. Remove the battery for 15 minutes to reset BIOS settings => can't tell if it did anything since display can't work
C. Set the BIOS jumper to recovery mode, then try to recover it using a floppy => who the **** still owns a floppy drive nowadays?! Why are we still relying on stone age equivalent of memory storage technology to fix this sort of thing!? *angry grumbles*

Anyway for me to at least get the display back? Or is this BIOS total failure really as stupidly fatal to my computer as it sounds?

Try another gpu. I did same thing and couldn't get past logo until I put the old ATI gpu in. It was working fine with the new frys gts450 until.I updated BIOS from ver 7 to ver 7.4 on an msi 975x platinum power up ed. I was getting really dicouraged man. You just have to persvere especially since its Windows we're working with. If you can't go in one window and have success try another window. I still need to get the right CPU. Like an idiot I assumed Intel only made on e6700..Apparently I need the core 2 duo e6700 and not the Pentium D e6700. Gotta read all the numbers and make sure of compatibility issues before you buy. Now I'll have to sell it on eBay for maybe less than paid for it.
m
l

Best solution

a c 216 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
September 28, 2011 8:57:05 PM

A bad BIOS flash is usually fatal if there is no built-in backup recovery BIOS.

Apparently an SPI Serial Flash Programmer would cost you more than twice as much as a new motherboard so that really isn't an option.

Since the SPI Flash EEPROM is soldered to the motherboard there isn't much you can do yourself.

You can always contact Intel and ask if they can resolve the problem for you (i.e. reflash the BIOS SPI Flash device). You may have to pay for shipping both directions. Or maybe they can recommend someone who can fix it for you.
October 2, 2011 3:31:03 AM

Best answer selected by Skuttle.
m
l
Related resources
!