Converting a IDE Drive to SATA Drive

Ventus

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013
I'm Building a New computer, While trying to do it the cheapest way possible.
Mainly The Mother Board I'm getting only accepts SATA Devices. So As far as I know I'll have to buy a new DVD-RW Drive...

But I've found this,
http://www.walmart.com/ip/StarTech.com-PATA2SATA2-IDE-to-SATA-Converter-Adapter/13214968?findingMethod=rr

I'm thinking I could just hook this device into the DVD-RW Drive itself and then run a SATA Wire from it to the Motherboard.
And it would allow me to keep on using my IDE Disk Drive.

Would anyone know if this would work?

I highly, HIGHLY recommend you don't do that.

It's designed for recovering data from an IDE drive when you have no ide ports. Pile that on top of the fact that any IDE drive is going to be very old and about ready to die at the snap of a finger...

However, unless this is for a media PC, you don't need a DVD drive - you can install windows from a USB drive.

Ventus

Honorable
Jan 26, 2013

Well, The drive isn't that old :p, Well... maybe like 6 years old. But it still works pretty good :p

Ah... So it meant for use for the other way around, Okay that makes sense.

And thanks for that link, That seems like that might work the way I need it to.

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
I tend to agree with DarkSable concerning the age of that hard drive. Be sure that you make frequent backups of any important data and keep all of your software install disks including OS just in case it fails on you before you expect it to.