Sign in with
Your question

Can You UnVoid Your GPU Warranty?

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2011 7:31:34 PM

Im installing a Arctic cooling Accelero Plus GPU cooler on my Sapphire ATI 5870 card, I know once you do that it voids my warranty, but if something went wrong and I wanted to return it, Is it possible to just re connect the original plate to it and make it look like I never opened? Or will they 100% know for sure I opened it?

Thanks

More about : unvoid gpu warranty

January 16, 2011 7:35:19 PM

I have no idea. They will inspect it for physical damage, so be sure you don't scratch any surface. I don't change the heatsink when it voids warranty unless I don't plan on using it. If you can't afford another video card, then I would leave it alone.
m
l
January 16, 2011 7:41:30 PM

o1die said:
I have no idea. They will inspect it for physical damage, so be sure you don't scratch any surface. I don't change the heatsink when it voids warranty unless I don't plan on using it. If you can't afford another video card, then I would leave it alone.

DAmn it, well I already got a VGA cooler for Christmas, and its so nice with 3 fans. I could just changed the main GPU heatsink and leave on the original RAM heat spreaders right?
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2011 8:55:36 PM

If you're careful, they may not notice. Or you may not have any issues requiring an rma warranty claim. Most oem heatsinks are adequate, and I've never seen enough improvement overclocking the gpu to justify the extra heat. Changing to a quieter heatsink if a plus for me. I don't care about the extra heat.
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:18:01 PM

Quote:
dont worry if you damage it with that cooler they cant see it unless they inspect it with a magnifying glass but i did told how to put it on without worrying about damaging it

okay well thats good to know, I bet i could do it without scratching it. by the way, you said
" but i did told how to put it on without worrying about damaging it" i didnt understand? typo...?

thanks
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:18:40 PM

o1die said:
If you're careful, they may not notice. Or you may not have any issues requiring an rma warranty claim. Most oem heatsinks are adequate, and I've never seen enough improvement overclocking the gpu to justify the extra heat. Changing to a quieter heatsink if a plus for me. I don't care about the extra heat.

ya, i guess its a noise factor also, I also wanted to see how cool I could get it, i will wait till I get another GPU
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:36:41 PM

Quote:
yesterday i explained to you what to watch out for remember?

oh right right, but im just still worried they have some secret tape or sticker or glue that once broken, they know...idk
m
l
January 17, 2011 12:14:36 AM

Quote:
Why you worried about that put the thing on and enjoy your rig lol

Be positive

well because then it voids my warranty, I mean, basically, Not that i dont reall really want to, but your the first person out of about 15 that tell me to do it, everyone else says NO, you will lose you warranty, or you might damage it,etc....8(
m
l
January 18, 2011 3:15:23 AM

Quote:
What did I say in the other post to you? Did anyone else told you what to watch out for when your putting it on?
If you didn't know that you might have a slim chance of accidentally damaging it. the one for your card are even easier to put on than the one for the 4870x2. with that gpu its a tricky afair.

you bought it so use it or sell it or do whatever you want with. It does make a 30 degree difference that's why I got one. So its your own choice in the end

hey man, that was an old comment, I already got the GPU open and all ready, now I just got to order some stupid RAM heat sink kits.....>8(
m
l
January 18, 2011 3:38:27 AM

Quote:
Its strange. Mine was included in the kit. Do they sell it separately? that's a bummer like selling a car without the keys lol

buying it right now, over night shipping FTW!.....$28, f*kin expensive, but i want it now!
m
l
January 18, 2011 3:51:20 AM

Quote:
You'll see your case temperature drop as well. Gpu contribute to a lot of heat inside it but its actually the first cooler I see that makes a huge difference with your gpu temps. Which leaves you with more room to overclock it later on

Ya I cant wait, I was real nervous, and I have literally spent all day disassembling this GPU 5870. It was at least for me harder than actually building a computer. That was not to bad my first time building a pc, but this was hard, so many questions and cautions, not many videos on it either, especially my particular card. So now comes the task 2 morrow of installing everything else. So....youll probably see a hundred questions in the forum tomorrow from me, LOL.

BUT thanks for your help, I know im a noob, but im learning!
m
l
January 18, 2011 4:57:42 AM

seriously, they arent going to bother disecting the card or going over it with a magnifying glass, they just test it, if it fails, replace it and move on.
m
l
January 18, 2011 5:03:27 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
seriously, they arent going to bother disecting the card or going over it with a magnifying glass, they just test it, if it fails, replace it and move on.

ya i agree, and im not overclocking it, just making it cooler. So yeah. And plus if it did fail and they refused to replace it, i can throw one hell of a big fit to all the corporate and PR Execs at sapphire & BBB till i get my replacement, LOL http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/lol...
m
l
January 19, 2011 10:15:07 PM

Quote:
that's what I suggested but I was dubbed a dishonest thieving b....... in the other post lol

ya, true, by the way, Can i have your opinion here:

Im installing heatsinks on my GPU cooler RAM, REgarding the thermal paste, the instructions say to just place a blob of thermal paste on it and stick the heatsinks on, they do NOT say to spread it, just apply pressure.

But heres what it look like for how i did: http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/9969/rimg0082.jpg & http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5656/rimg0083s.jpg

Do I need to take them back off and re apply paste? or is it okay
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:08:31 AM

Quote:
I'm on the phone at the moment so can't see the pics so clear but did you finish the tube on it? Lol

What thermal paste is it? If its artic 5 and you got any on the PCB is suggest you take it off and clean it. did you put it in the system yet how are your temps?

hi, its the standard paste that the Arctic Accelero came with. and No i did not get any on the board, I have not yet installed the main big gpu cooler. Ive just been doing the ram heatsinks so far
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:28:25 AM

Quote:
Just a tat. Its job is to suck the heat sink against the chip. So keep that in mind when applying. if its already on leave it on and test it. See how's your temps.

When they mean blob they mean just a tat a small squeeze. Coz when you press the heatsink down it will spread. So just have a look at the size of it and put a tat on that you think will spread enough.

okay ill just try it as is for now, im not sure if temperature programs measure individual RAM Temps, i think they only measure the over all GPU Chip temp..idk
m
l
January 20, 2011 12:50:18 AM

Great, guess what, one of the ram heat sinks is to close to the gpu, so i cant line up the gpu card with the coolers screw slots! http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4830/rimg0075.png
I guess ill have to remove them and re apply, hopefully it wont kill my ram to rip them off? 8(
m
l
!