Sign in with
Your question

Does a gaming rig (NON-OC!) need cpu cooler, other than stock?

Last response: in Components
January 16, 2011 8:06:34 PM

Hey,

I wanna build my first gaming rig, but i'm not sure if i need another cpu cooler.

I'm buying a i7-950 (plz do not suggest Sandy bridge, i won't go with it), but wondering if the stock cooler will do a good job...

1. Am i fine with the stock cooler? If no, plz proceed to question 2

2.Suggestions plz on a good cooler

NOTE: I'm running out of money, so don't suggest the most expensive models, i want the best price/performance...
January 16, 2011 8:12:54 PM

stock coolers are designed to cool the cpu, running at stock specs, within the thermal specs, otherwise it would be silly of the manufacturer to included them with a warranted product. That being said things like noise take a low priority for an included cooler. If you want to keep the budget trim try the stock one first, if you find it non-accaptiable then look for an aftermarket.
a c 83 à CPUs
January 16, 2011 8:21:16 PM

I have no idea how the noise is on Intel's coolers, but all processors from AMD/Intel come with a cooler capable of keeping them cool at 100% load, they'd be stupid not to because they'd be replacing processor after processor as they fried.

Only time I need a new cpu cooler is when the stock one is too loud for my taste or I'm overclocking.
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
a c 78 à CPUs
January 16, 2011 8:22:30 PM

1) ^+1... Stock coolers will perform well enough at stock speeds for your cooling needs.

2) A nice HSF for a good price is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 79 à CPUs
January 16, 2011 8:33:00 PM

metalmidget said:
Hey,

I wanna build my first gaming rig, but i'm not sure if i need another cpu cooler.

I'm buying a i7-950 (plz do not suggest Sandy bridge, i won't go with it), but wondering if the stock cooler will do a good job...

1. Am i fine with the stock cooler? If no, plz proceed to question 2

2.Suggestions plz on a good cooler

NOTE: I'm running out of money, so don't suggest the most expensive models, i want the best price/performance...

if you are on a budget and want gaming rig them don't go i7-9xx, you'llget 95% of the performance with a 750.

Stock coolers are ok, just may not be quiet enough for you.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 471 à CPUs
January 17, 2011 4:42:38 AM

Just install the stock cooler.

If it is too loud for you, then post back for a cooler recommendation.
a b 4 Gaming
a c 309 à CPUs
January 17, 2011 2:06:35 PM

1) Stock cooler is fine.
2) OEM cooler will run quieter under load. CM hiper 212 is about $30.
3) Is there a reason why you are averse to sandy bridge?
The 2500 is cheaper, and at stock about 30% faster than i7-950.
32nm construction makes it run cooler; no oem cooler needed.
P67 motherboards will be cheaper.
January 17, 2011 4:55:07 PM

geofelt said:
1) Stock cooler is fine.
2) OEM cooler will run quieter under load. CM hiper 212 is about $30.
3) Is there a reason why you are averse to sandy bridge?
The 2500 is cheaper, and at stock about 30% faster than i7-950.
32nm construction makes it run cooler; no oem cooler needed.
P67 motherboards will be cheaper.

It's just that i already spent an awfull lot of time searching and looking up information about computer components because i want to do my first build right, and all this time i've been looking for a i7-9xx cpu ( because it was the newest on the market) and a motherboard that's compatible with it etc...

And a week before i order everything, intel comes up with sandy bridge, so now all that time would seem kinda wasted when i go with sandy bridge.

But yea, i've already waited this long, i guess i'll take a look at sandy bridge...
January 17, 2011 5:13:59 PM

does anybody have a sweet motherboard that goes with sandy bridge?

My previous choice was gigabyte's GA X58A UD5, but it only supports i7 9xx's.

I'm looking for a motherboard with LGA 1155 support (for the SB 2500)
-usb 3
-6 audio jacks (for 5.1 surround sound baby!)
-ATX Form
-some USB 2's (obvious i guess...)
-(other cool stuff?)

and all other basic stuff of course!

Thx guys, for the replies so far!
a b 4 Gaming
a c 309 à CPUs
January 17, 2011 5:40:55 PM

I think every P67 motherboard out there will be OK, and have what you listed.
If you think you might want sli in the future, read the specs carefully, since some motherboards did not pay Nvidia the license to reduce costs.

I bought the Asus P8P67-M pro, a micro-atx motherboard. It works well, and I would expect the full sized board to be the same.

Asus is one of the few to include the UEFI bios which is a more web like display. It is OK, and a bit different, but I never had a problem with the old bios.

January 17, 2011 5:50:09 PM

just like i wanted that i7-9xx so badly, was i also looking for a gigabyte motherboard, and i've just seen some cool ones now.

But as ASUS is also one of the big names on the market, i'll also have a look at their boards.

Thx again for letting me have second thoughts on SB, i think you made my future-rig quite a bit cheaper... (and faster!)

a b 4 Gaming
a c 309 à CPUs
January 17, 2011 5:56:54 PM

metalmidget said:
just like i wanted that i7-9xx so badly, was i also looking for a gigabyte motherboard, and i've just seen some cool ones now.

But as ASUS is also one of the big names on the market, i'll also have a look at their boards.

Thx again for letting me have second thoughts on SB, i think you made my future-rig quite a bit cheaper... (and faster!)

I have used gigabyte before also. I would not have any problem with them. Or, Intel or ECS for that matter.

I think Asus has been in development a bit longer, so they might have avoided some of the inevitable bios issues.
!