Specific Memory compatibility

dava04

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi all,

My PC is MSI X58 pro, I7 930, 12GB RAM, GTX460 SLI, Intel X25m 160GB SSD, 500GB WD caviar Green HDD.

Problem is it occasionally hangs, if it is going to it is right after start up, on other occasions it with blue screen with a full memory dump, sometimes stating graphics drivers other time I am not too sure, more often than not it starts with MSN freezing.

But this only started happening after I added and extra 6gb of ram.

My specific question is this, one set of RAM is ADATA 3x2gb ddr3 1333 2gx8 UDIMM, the other set is ADATA 3x2gb ddr3 1333 2gx16 UDIMM. Is this small difference the 2gx8 / 2gx16 (on the label) going to cause some kind of compatibility issue?

If i am fair, the very occasional hanging started after adding the SSD, while the blue screen is more related to the RAM in time frame.

Would be nice to have a totally stable work PC.

Help would be appreciated.

dava04

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
It actually blue screen right after i made the first post, saying display adapter failed to reset. Specific file nvlddmkm.sys, which i am sure is telling me it is a GFX card issue. But still if you can confirm the above memory is compatible that would be appreciated.

There is a minidump file, but i cant read it right now.

Windows error reporting said this

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA80070F34E0
BCP2: FFFFF8800FCE4FA4
BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A
BCP4: 0000000000000004
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\091711-11187-01.dmp
C:\Users\Games\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-20781-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

go to nvidia downloads. get the newest driver ( 280 i think ). go into the device manager. find the cards. uninstall from the device manager. reboot. let windows find cards. install the new drivers. when installing the new drivers do a "custom" install not auto. when prompted DO NOT install the audio drivers or anything other than the physics driver and the graphics driver.

dava04

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have done as you have said, I only installed the display driver, which included the physics.

CAn you tell me why this audio driver might have been causing a problem?

Also the original question about the RAM compatibility, as I am still interested, in what that 2gx8 / 2gx16 (on the label) means.

I will report back in a week, if the PCs stable or not.

Thanks.

dava04

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Unfortunately, only 15mins after doing this the PC went mad again.

However this time it wasnt a blue screen of death, windows froze and then the screen went black and then it became white with fuzzing black bit, very reminiscent of the old C64 loading screens (enough time to make a cup of tea)

Restarted the PC and everything seems to be working again. I have Areo on, does Areo have any known issues with my hardware? SLI is disabled

sorry for the delay in getting back. The ram thing...... try running ONLY ram of the same speed and configuration. Make sure they are in the right slots for dual channel. Check the book or go to the board manufacturers site.

Remove one of you cards..... physically remove. Run the system and see how it runs. Then swap out cards and see how it runs. It could be that the power supply cannot provide enough power for your system. Something in the 50 to 60 amp range would be good and probably necessary for running 2 cards and using that power hungry processor. If you have a friend or neighbor who will let you borrow theirs to try if you don't have another.

dava04

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
The power supply is certainly fine it is 800w with more than enough amperage going to the cards. I addressed this in another thread back when I built the PC.

Also I have overclocked both CPU and videocards for gaming purposes to prove that its stable.

My question is as above
"My specific question is this, one set of RAM is ADATA 3x2gb ddr3 1333 (2gx8) UDIMM, the other set is ADATA 3x2gb ddr3 1333 (2gx16) UDIMM. Is this small difference the 2gx8 / 2gx16 (on the label) going to cause some kind of compatibility issue?" If anyone has specific knowledge about this tiny difference on the RAM it would be interesting to hear back. As apart from this the RAM is absolutely identical, and in their correct triple channel slots.

Any video card issues seem to be driver related and haven't happened since I switch off Aero.