Last response: in Components
January 16, 2011 9:21:26 PM

Hey all,

I am about to build a new PC and these are the parts:

1) i7-870
2) P7P55 D-E EVO mobo
3) HD5670 512MB
4) Antec HCG 620 PSU
5) Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G (one piece is 4G, not 2x2GB, but not sure if there is much difference other than one of them will be single channel, the other one: double channel)
6) Hard drive undecided... I'm just clueless which brand to go for, I know I'm not going for Seagate, all I know is that I want no more than 500GB and it has to be reliable, well performing and high quality. Please help me, I'm stuck on this, tired of researching all over, all brands seem good and offer good prices... Hitachi makes good drives, Toshiba does, Western Digital seems good...I'm lost!

More about : 500gb internal hard drive

January 16, 2011 9:37:20 PM

^Second that, excluding the part about WD. I'd go for either a Spinpoint F3 or a Western Digital Caviar Black. They're both excellent performers, and I've never had a Western Digital fail me. I can't say much about the Spinpoint, other than that it may be a hair faster...

I don't know what's happened to Seagate recently... I'm running one of their old 7200.9 (3 generations old, 80GB) Barracudas, and it's served me faithfully through constant use for almost six years now. I just don't get how they've been having so many failed drives...
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:47:45 PM

Yeah, I have to agree with you there... maybe you're right - I probably shouldn't be saying that without much experience with Samsung...

I'd say Dadiggle is right and your best bet is a Spinpoint F3. I know that they have their F4 series, but I have no clue how well they perform...
m
l
January 16, 2011 9:53:20 PM

hmm, I had a Samsung 17" monitor with 2 dead pixels, then i returned it to a new one, but that one was with 1 dead pixel. Then I bought a digital camera from Samsung which died after 2 years and the repair wasn't worth it since it cost more than the camera itself. I had a Samsung MP3 player and it dies after 2.5 years due to some software failure. Will it be smart for me to go for Samsung F3 Spinpoint? A thing that will be holding my OS, my photos, videos, school files I mean..I'm not so sure, not such a lucky brand for me this one.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 16, 2011 10:01:08 PM

in my opinion, wd is the most reliable drive manufacturer.

while wd has an almost identical % of marketshare, they have less failures:

as you can see, if comparing market share to % of failed drives, out of wd, samsung, and seagate, WD COMES OUT THE BEST!

also, their caviar black drives are really fast and quiet. while samsung f3 might be a tiny bit faster, they dont run as quiet.
m
l
January 17, 2011 9:59:12 PM

Best answer selected by Bankkkai.
m
l
January 18, 2011 12:12:48 AM

We're consistently doing READs at ~150MB/second with the Western Digital WD5003ABYX
using the ATTO benchmark software:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P5W64 WS Professional
Intel Q6600
4GB Corsair XMS2 PC2-8500
Intel ICH7R I/O controller hub
XP/Pro SP3 with all updates

MRFS
m
l
!