Tags:
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Windows XP
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
May 11, 2010 2:44:31 PM

Hello,

I have been working on this for a while and have tried many things including registry edits, verifying NIC properties, running a repair install of Windows XP, etc. No dice.

I have one computer on a small network running Windows XP that will not allow files to be read from other computers or vice versa. From the my network places, on other computers in the workgroup, the computer in question shows up, but when clicking on it gives the message basically saying cannot connect... may not have necessary permissions to connect. I've tried fixing permissions on the computer in question too. Also, I have disabled and tried uninstalling firewalls on the computer in question.

What is strange is the computer in question is able to connect to our Linux Server and it is also able connect to the internet.

We have a couple other Windows XP computer and a Windows 2000 computer. I also just installed a Windows 7 computer and with one tweak to the Windows 7 registry, I was able to get it to be accessed on the Workgroup. Why the existing Windows XP will not all other computers to be accessible to it, I have no idea at this point. It's frustrating.

I've been thinking it could be a blocked port through our router, but why would the Windows 7 machine work if that's the case?

Thanks for any assistance!

More about : computer join workgroup

May 11, 2010 5:10:25 PM

I forgot to mention, I have verified the Workgroup name is the same on all the computers... I would think it would have to be if the computer in question shows up on the other network computers.

I also forgot to mention, when opening up My Network Places on the computer in question, the only computer that shows up is the computer in question. Again, the computer in question does show up on all the other network computers though.
m
l
May 11, 2010 6:09:23 PM

thinkbig said:
I forgot to mention, I have verified the Workgroup name is the same on all the computers... I would think it would have to be if the computer in question shows up on the other network computers.

I also forgot to mention, when opening up My Network Places on the computer in question, the only computer that shows up is the computer in question. Again, the computer in question does show up on all the other network computers though.

Does that computer show up in the router's Access Control lists? I've known this happen where it's in the list but showing as Unknown. Changing the name from whatever to anything and restarting then changing it back to the name it had or to a completely new name, usually forces a reassociation and solves this problem.

m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2010 4:09:42 PM

thinkbig said:

Is the firewall enabled or disabled?
m
l
May 30, 2010 2:50:28 AM

You have not come back to say if this problem is resolved, so here goes...

You have not specified if the computer in question has the necessary network protocols installed.

Since the questionable computer is the only one that appears in Explorer, I think you are missing
protocols: "NWLink NetBIOS" and/or "NWLink IPX/SPXNetbios Compatible Transport Protocols."

Note:
Windows will show in the network adapter properties dialog box that these are for Netware Networks,
but surprise... Microsoft Windoze Networks needs them too.

You do Not need to enable or otherwise install "Client Service for Netware" in a home network environment.
You Must have "Client for Microsoft Networks" enabled, as well as the protocols mentioned above.

You sound proficient in getting around windoze, so I assume you know where and how to add these items
to your network properties, so I'll skip specific directions.

Good luck.

m
l
June 9, 2010 1:47:17 AM

Thanks for the responses. I have not had a chance to work on the issue lately. It is not a top priority at work right now. I will get back to working on the issue as time allows. Thanks again for the suggestions!
m
l
!