camera makes funny noise and doesn't take pics

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 9, 2005 7:47:58 PM

Hi,

I have a Vivitar 3615 ($150 point and shoot, 2.1 mp) which is about 2
years old. I dropped it a few months ago which I thought would take it
out of action but once I readjusted the battery contacts it has worked
fine, Up until now. The most recent events for it were: I had iPhoto
erase the pictures in it after I downloaded them and then recharged the
batteries. Once I put the recharged batteries in it made a funny noise
right after being turned on and after I take a picture. All pictures
come out as nothing but black. The LCD viewer doesn't work anymore now.

Has iPhoto ever screwed up other people's cameras? This was the first
time I let it erase the camera's contents.

I've reformatted the memory card, reset the factory defaults, taken the
batteries out and put them back in. Nothing has helped.

Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
life...

Thanks.

John L
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 9:13:08 PM

In article <1105318078.418823.89710@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
<lipwak@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
> say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
> hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
> life...

Toss it and get something that doesn't have the name Vivitar on it.
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 11:48:47 AM

Hey, there's hope! I'll try a few things with the batteries (recharging
them again, perhaps buying new ones) and see what happens.

Thanks!!

John L

Christopher Muto wrote:
> if your rechargeable batteries are two years old like your camera
they are
> likely the source of your problem. many cameras demonstrate odd
behavior
> with batteries that are not fully charged. if new batteries do not
solve
> the problem then it is worth looking at current camera prices before
you
> even consider a repair of the old or even paying for an estimate of a

> repair. basic p&s digital cameras can be had for as little as $100,
and lots
> of very capable ones go for under $200.
January 10, 2005 7:25:17 PM

<lipwak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Vivitar 3615 ($150 point and shoot, 2.1 mp) which is about 2
> years old. I dropped it a few months ago which I thought would take it
> out of action but once I readjusted the battery contacts it has worked
> fine, Up until now. The most recent events for it were: I had iPhoto
> erase the pictures in it after I downloaded them and then recharged the
> batteries. Once I put the recharged batteries in it made a funny noise
> right after being turned on and after I take a picture. All pictures
> come out as nothing but black. The LCD viewer doesn't work anymore now.
>

> Has iPhoto ever screwed up other people's cameras? This was the first
> time I let it erase the camera's contents.
>
> I've reformatted the memory card, reset the factory defaults, taken the
> batteries out and put them back in. Nothing has helped.
>
> Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
> say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
> hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
> life...
>
> Thanks.
>
> John L

Anonymous
January 12, 2005 12:05:10 AM

anyone4tennis@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Vivitar 3615 ($150 point and shoot, 2.1 mp) which is about 2
> years old. I dropped it a few months ago which I thought would take it
> out of action but once I readjusted the battery contacts it has worked
> fine, Up until now. The most recent events for it were: I had iPhoto
> erase the pictures in it after I downloaded them and then recharged the
> batteries. Once I put the recharged batteries in it made a funny noise
> right after being turned on and after I take a picture. All pictures
> come out as nothing but black. The LCD viewer doesn't work anymore now.
>

> Has iPhoto ever screwed up other people's cameras? This was the first
> time I let it erase the camera's contents.
>
> I've reformatted the memory card, reset the factory defaults, taken the
> batteries out and put them back in. Nothing has helped.
>
> Has my camera bit the dust? I am writing to Vivitar to see what they
> say but don't expect repairing a camera to be economical anyway. I'm
> hoping there is something I can do to perhaps give this camera one more
> life...

First. Erasing photographs in iPhoto is a bad idea. The program will delete
them but close off part of the media's memory to new photos - what you
should do is either delete using the camera or re-format the media to regain
the full capacity.

Second. By the sound of it you've done something evil to the innards -
digital cameras are not renowned for being rugged. Try and see if repair is
an option - usually it isn't unless the camera is within guarantee. All
manufacturers would like to to write off non-working cameras and buy a new
one. Most digitals don't hold their value - I bought a Sony S-70 in 2001 for
£375, by 2004 the second-hand resale value had dropped to just £30. Try
looking on ebay for a working replacement or perhaps a bigger megapixel
camera.
!