Last few parts for a HTPC/Gaming build

Hey all. I have been slowly researching and purchasing parts for a new amd based htpc/gaming build. I just need some opinions for the last few parts before I start putting it all together.

Approximate Purchase Date: Hopefully within the next month.


Budget Range: So far I am at about $700 invested. All in all I hope to be under $1200 but I'm flexible.


System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, media centre, video encoding on occasion, surfing the internet


Parts Not Required: Motherboard- MSI-890GXM-G65
CPU- AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 6870
Blu-ray writer- LG BH10LS30
I also think I have a new WD 500GB caviar green kickin' around.
Don't need monitor, keyboard or mouse, speakers, or OS


Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I would prefer memoryexpress.com but I can use ncix.com, newegg.ca or tigerdirect.ca


Country of Origin: Canada


Parts Preferences: I would prefer corsair for ram and psu but I'm open to suggestion. Since I am using a mATX board I would like to keep the case small. I can sacrifice small for good cable management though.


Overclocking: Probably dabble in it a little bit.


SLI or Crossfire: We'll see about Crossfire. Depends on the case.


Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080


Additional Comments: Ideally I would like a home theater case, but I can handle a small tower if necessary. If I get a case that can fit two of the HD 6870, I will need adequate power.
Since I might do a little overclocking, if I can fit in a H50 that would be great.

I will also be using a Hauppauge HDPVR.


Sorry if this was all pretty specific, but I suppose that is better than vague right?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be a lot of help.
18 answers Last reply
More about last parts htpc gaming build
  1. You might want to look at these little cases that are H50/Coolit ECO capable

    1. Cooler Master Elite 341
    2. INWin Dragon Slayer
    3. Silverstone SG-03
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961360
    4. NZXT Vulcan (via front)
    http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?7866-Corsair-Hydro-on-rear-fan-mount
    This was my HD 6870CF capable mATX as soon as the HD6k was out :P USD but ya perhaps it could come in useful ^^

    Thuban as dude was off on some uber geek engineering college thingy LOL
  2. Damn these Radeons are kicking ass on nvidia :)
  3. For him, I think the GD04/05 would be more appropriate.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163158
  4. batuchka said:
    You might want to look at these little cases that are H50/Coolit ECO capable

    1. Cooler Master Elite 341
    2. INWin Dragon Slayer
    3. Silverstone SG-03
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33961360
    4. NZXT Vulcan (via front)
    http://www.nzxt.com/forum/showthread.php?7866-Corsair-Hydro-on-rear-fan-mount
    This was my HD 6870CF capable mATX as soon as the HD6k was out :P USD but ya perhaps it could come in useful ^^
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/Untitled-1447.jpg
    Thuban as dude was off on some uber geek engineering college thingy LOL


    For the Vulcan, the photo on the second page with the evga mb, it looks like he has his gpu on his second PCIex16. That slot on my msi mb is only x8. If I mount my Radeon on the top slot, do you think I will still be able to mount the H50 in the front intake fan?
  5. It could get hairy and the H50 cables would run over your GPU but i would say doable but either way in non CF/SLI on a PCIex16 gen 2.0 slot even at x8 you wouldn't suffer deteriorated performance (actually 8/8 vs 16/16 CF/SLI is just a whisker) if that is your concern ^^
  6. Timop said:
    For him, I think the GD04/05 would be more appropriate.
    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163158


    Wow what is that expansions slot over the psu for?
  7. Ovlazek said:
    Wow what is that expansions slot over the psu for?

    Its a vent for cooling HDDs apparently.
  8. As far as those Silverstone HTPC cases go, I wouldn't be able to mount the rad for an h50 or eco right above the mobo there. Do I have a better air cooling alternative to fit in one of those cases?
  9. The Cooler Master GeminiIIS is a guaranteed fit hehe
  10. Do you think the NZXT rogue would be a good choice for a case? It looks like it would have plenty of room for an enclosed water cooler. The cable management would not be as good though right?
  11. Rogue has been E.O.L or end of line/life no longer in production for a while now - unless u happen to stumble across a retailer with stocks hehe
  12. Shoot. Yeah as soon as I posted I noticed that as I shopped around. I wonder why it's still on their website. Well since thats out... are there any other cube style cases that would be a good fit?
  13. Anyways I also need a psu and memory. Batuchka, that 650W XFX you used in the other build- is that enough power for overclocking and two 6870?
  14. Ovlazek said:
    Shoot. Yeah as soon as I posted I noticed that as I shopped around. I wonder why it's still on their website. Well since thats out... are there any other cube style cases that would be a good fit?

    If you want Cube case, The Silverstone SG01, SG02 and the Lian-li V531, V532, V354 are good choices.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163112&Tpk=SG02
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163116&Tpk=SG01
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112221
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112278
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112299

    650W is plenty for a 955 + 6870CF, as the whole system uses ~500W under load.
  15. Timop said:


    Okay. I've decided on a Corsair HX650 as far as psu goes.
    The case I am leaning towards an Antec Mini P180. Seems to have plenty of room for an H50 and 6870CF. That and it looks pretty good externally.

    Does that sound about right to everyone?

    Also still looking for more advice as far as RAM goes. :D
  16. Ovlazek said:
    Okay. I've decided on a Corsair HX650 as far as psu goes.
    The case I am leaning towards an Antec Mini P180. Seems to have plenty of room for an H50 and 6870CF. That and it looks pretty good externally.

    Does that sound about right to everyone?

    Also still looking for more advice as far as RAM goes. :D

    The P180 isnt great, but if you like it..

    For the Ram, heres a set: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092

    Why do you want a H50 anyways? With a P180, slap a 212+ on it and it a day.
  17. Timop said:
    Why do you want a H50 anyways?



    Well I will be using it as an htpc as well so I would rather not have a big heatsink and fan making a lot of noise.
  18. Ovlazek said:
    Well I will be using it as an htpc as well so I would rather not have a big heatsink and fan making a lot of noise.

    The H50 is going to be just as loud though, same 120m fan and pump noise.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Gaming Systems Product