Need help buying a new computer

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computers
  • Memory
Last response: in CPUs
January 17, 2011 12:42:05 AM

Hi,

I am interested in buying a new computer. Basically I will be playing games like Call of Duty's, Day of Defeat Source, Counterstrike, and TFC. I found this new Dell - Studio XPS Desktop / Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 3.4 GHz / 8GB Memory / 1.5TB Hard Drive with the following specs:

Warranty Terms -
Parts 1 year
Labor 1 year limited
#
Processor
Intel® Core™ i7
#
Processor Speed 3.4GHz
#
Cache Memory 8MB
#
System Memory (RAM) 8GB
#
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 16GB
#
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3 SDRAM
#
Hard Drive Type SATA (7200 rpm)
#
Hard Drive Size 1.5TB
#
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5770
#
Video Memory 1GB GDDR5
#
Audio Integrated
#
Network Card - Integrated Ethernet
#
Wireless Networking
Dell 1501 wireless-N PCI Express card
#
Recordable DVD Drive Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW
#
Digital Media Reader or Slots
Yes, digital media card reader
#
Available Expansion Bays
External: 2 (3.5"), 1 (5.25"); Internal: 1 (5.25")
#
Available Expansion Slots
4 DIMM, 1 PCI Express x16, 2 PCI Express x1, 1 PCI
#
USB 2.0 Ports
8 (2 top, 2 front, 4 rear)
#
IEEE 1394 Ports 1
#
Keyboard Description USB multimedia
#
Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.)
Optical mouse
#
Operating System
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
#
Best Buy PC App
No
#
HDMI Output
Yes
#
Blu-ray Player
No
#
Graphics Chip
ATI
#
Drive Capacity
1.5TB

The current price for this is $ 1099.99

The reason I am looking at buying this from BB is that they are offering 18 months no interest and a bit of warranty.

Is there a better way I could go with a different computer for a few hundred more ?

The problem is that I am not up on building a system. I am new to this. The whole thing about buying it there and bringing it home seems much easier than trying to research parts and then finding that they don't work together correctly. I can put the parts together in the chassis (I've worked on them for years) but I am not educated enough on today's parts to put a really strong system together.

I would like to use parts that have just come out in the last week or so if possible. Is there a place that I can find a recent list of parts to put something together for around a $1,000.00.

What is the best thing for me to do ?

More about : buying computer

January 17, 2011 12:52:52 AM

i'd always stay away from pre-builts just because they are usually way overpriced. and id rather spend a little bit of time researching parts than an extra £400-£600(im in the uk) for someone else to do it for me

you dont need a high end pc for the games your looking to play. most mid range and even some lower end can handle things like cod and day of defeat.

also not all recent parts are the best. so looking on a list of most recent things won't mean they are all going to outperform old counterparts. for instance take the geforce 9800 as far as im aware it is identical in almost every way to the 8800(an older card)
m
l
January 17, 2011 1:23:40 AM

Thank you very much I appreciate your help !
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 17, 2011 3:01:22 AM

The specs for the system you found is pretty capable.

For an estimate of the cost of a 'home built' Intel:
CPU - i5-2500 = $200
M/B - Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/(good manufacturer) P67 mid-feature = $150
RAM - DDR3-1333 or greater, 2x4GB or 4x2GB = $100
GPU - Radeon 5770 = $100-125
HDD - 1.5 TB 7200 rpm WD/Seagate = $100
DVD - Any SATA DVD-RW = $20
Case/PSU - Case of your liking with a 'quality' 500W+ power supply = $100
OS - Win7 HP x64 = $100

So... a you're coming in around $900 for parts and OS. Its about $200 for the service and convenience, warranty... Its more or less a $200 decision. It'll be a nice system :)  Good luck!
m
l
March 10, 2011 4:29:46 PM

kwill690580 said:
Hi,

Is there a better way I could go with a different computer for a few hundred more ?
I would like to use parts that have just come out in the last week or so if possible. Is there a place that I can find a recent list of parts to put something together for around a $1,000.00.

What is the best thing for me to do ?

If you're not up for building a new computer, which does require some time and knowledge investment, I'd look at an HP. Actually for the same price, you could get a much longer lasting-upgradeable computer. Try this one http://goo.gl/zhhx3

You can go bigger to make up the price difference, but if you ever decide to play Crysis, you'll get a very good framerate...depending on the video card 100+ FPS.
m
l
!