Zantac 9800GT problem

Albion221

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007
I recently installed a Zantac 9800GT GPU. The card seems to run alight when on the internet or doing word processing but if i try to play a game it will freeze up the PC within 5 minutes and the only option is to press the reset button.

My system specs:
PSU ATrix 650 W
Processor Manufacturer: AMD
Processor Type: Athlon II 2 X 250
Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3
Operating System Windows XP Pro SP3
System RAM: 2Gb
Video Card Manufacturer: Nvidea
Video Card Model: Zantac 9800GT Synergy
Video Card RAM: 1GB
Video Card Driver Version: Latest Driver
Sound Realtek onboard Latest Driver

So far i have tried updating the GPU and Realtek drivers to the latest version.
Changing the settings in the Nvidea Desktop manager
Testing the memory (no problems)
Reseating the card
Running GPU-Z, card is running at 50C which is not hot (i don't think)
i will add my last GPU was a Nvidea 8400 GS and it ran games with no problem

So anything i am missing or do i have a faulty GPU?

Sounds like a RMA is in order, card does not like working in 3d and your idle temp is fine.
Did you measure your temps under load? The cooling fan should speed up to keep up with the load but it looks like it is not doing that.

Would be nice to confirm LOAD GPU temps. Albeit if your system hangs, you can't Alt-Tab out to check temps. So you might try to have your temp monitor "Log" temps so it records them. :)

Also, is your CPU overclocked at all? I'd just like to rule out whether you're having a system freeze/hang due to an unstable CPU OC as well.

50C is certainly within tolerances for a GPU, but as an idle temp it seems a little higher than I'd hope to see.

Your power supply is an ATRIX 650W. Is it the "Atrix 500T" 650W?

Here's a review of that PSU:
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atrix_500t/

Sucker only has a max 15A on the +12V.

15 amps X 12 volts = 180 Watts Max output on the 12V Rail.

The review shows the product is listed as having 2 x 12V rails. One @ 14A, and the other @ 15A. However the reviewer notes all the 12V power cables appear to connect to a single 12V rail inside the PSU. I guess you have to wonder with a low end PSU like this.

Albion221

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2007

No the CPU is not overclocked but i will try to get the temprature under load.

The PSU is a possible culprit i suppose. Maybe it can not handle the demand from the card i will try the card in another PC see what happens.

Update Okay before i tried the GPU in another PC i put my old 8400 back into my PC and its running with no problems and plays games okay. So now i am thinking the new GPU is faulty in some way and works ok under little stress. But when it is stressed by playing games it fails.

If it fails in the other PC that will confirm that i think.