Upgrading from 8600 GT

theholky

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card from my 8600 GT. I mainly play MMORPG's and with new ones coming out (after trying FF XIV open beta, it ran a little slow), I thought it might be a good time to ask what kind of performance boost I can expect for a reasonable upgrade.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: In the next couple months

BUDGET RANGE: No more than $200 After Rebates. Looking for a balance without creating too much of a CPU bottleneck and/or working with the PSU that I have.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: WoW, Dragon Ages, FFXIV, Guild Wars 2

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia 8600 GT 256mb, Coolmax 500 watt

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Q6600 Quad Core, 2x2GB DDR2 800mhz, FSB 1066mhz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: no preference

PARTS PREFERENCES: no preference

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I can grab a new PSU if need be. I only run two hard drives and no optical drive.

Thanks for all of your help!

+1 rolli59

Agreed. At your resolution the ATI 5770 should do you quite well. And quite frankly, should be a very substantial upgrade from what you have now! LOL

The GTX 460 would indeed need a newer PSU, but would be a great GPU if you wanted to also upgrade your monitor to like 1920x1080 resolution. So unless you plan to do that, the 5770 is a good recommendation.

maybe if u wait for couple of more months u might get AMD 6770, should outperform the 5770 while consuming less or same amount of power

Better yet, wait until NEXT year for the 7770. It'll be half the size, have 10 times the processing units, and outperform 4 ATI 5770's. Plus it'll be cheaper, and have a lifetime unlimited warranty.

Course, my specs could be off by +/- 80%.

Seriously though, greghome, have you seen the actual specs, benchmarks, and pricing map for this 6770 yet?

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
I'm with greghome on this one. At this point, the best option is to wait for HD 6770 to come out. Even if the 6770 is too expensive, it will drop the 5770's price by $50.