Internet connection help please

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
I just built a new computer and had an existing Internet account through Road Runner broadband which connects via cable modem. The modem is the same and was initialized by the ISP when I set it up with the old system.

When I connect to the new NIC, which is integrated on the nForce 3 250 Gb motherboard I cannot connect. The card is detected by Windows, and the tray icon changes to the connected network one when I plug it in. When I go into the Network though control panel I see a device for the LAN, and another disabled one for a 1394 device. What am I missing? The old setup had detect setting automatically, is currently configured to connect through LAN, not dialup. I thought I would be able to just hook it up and go, but I must be missing something. When I followed the Windows help it was not able to release and renew the IP. Is there anything I can do at home? Calling Road Runner tech support at 5 PM EST is unbearable. Please help.

snotling

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2002
NForce has an integrated firewall, maybe you should check those setings

BIOSTAR M7NCG Athlon XP 2400+
ATI RADEON 9600SE
Adaptec 29160 - Ultra160 SCSI
2 x Quantum Atlas 10K3 18 WLS
WDC WD1200JB-00CRA1
Toshiba 8x4x12x DVD±RW
AOpen Micro-ATX Desktop 200W

BrandtP

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2002
Snot, I did and it's set to the medium security setting, which is what it recommends. Admittedly networking is something I have difficulty understanding so are there other settings I should be looking at?

sturm

Splendid
Is this a new install of windows or using the old one? Ill assume new install.

unplug the power from the modem, wait 30 seconds, plug back in.
Goto run, cmd, ipconfig \all and see if you get an ip.
If not run the wizard to set iexplorer to connect thru the lan.
let me know what you get.