Sign in with
Your question

How does SanDisk ReadyCache SSD work?

Last response: in Storage
January 31, 2013 4:18:50 PM

i was looking at this SSD Sata III on ebay http://puu.sh/1VpSc
the description says this:
The SanDisk ReadyCache SSD gives you the benefits of solid state technology at a fraction of the cost of a traditional SSD. Designed for use as a cache drive, it works in tandem with your existing hardware to accelerate your PC's performance. And since the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD works with your original hard drive, you can enjoy SSD-like responsiveness without having to transfer your files or reinstall your operating system.

so if i dont have to reinstall or transfer my OS then how does this work?
a b G Storage
January 31, 2013 5:11:41 PM

The caching software will see which files are used most often and put them on the ssd. So when your cpu needs to access the files, it can just go to the ssd instead of the hdd and you have ssd performance.

If you have Z68/Z77/H77/Q77 you can use intel's ssd caching on any ssd.
January 31, 2013 6:16:33 PM

k1114 said:
The caching software will see which files are used most often and put them on the ssd. So when your cpu needs to access the files, it can just go to the ssd instead of the hdd and you have ssd performance.

so are they like copied to the SSD kinda thing? and can you pick and choose what to cache onto the SSD?
Related resources
January 31, 2013 6:17:16 PM

k1114 said:

so are they like copied to the SSD kinda thing? and can you pick and choose what to cache onto the SSD?
a b G Storage
January 31, 2013 7:35:53 PM

The files are copied on the ssd but are still on the hdd as well. You can't choose what is on the ssd, that is the downside to it.
January 31, 2013 8:05:48 PM

k1114 said:
The files are copied on the ssd but are still on the hdd as well. You can't choose what is on the ssd, that is the downside to it.

ahright okays, i'm in two minds, where to get the cache version or get a proper SSD, i googled some things and few people said a proper SSD is worth it if i have the money as its slightly better performance than the cache version, what would you say?
a b G Storage
January 31, 2013 8:10:14 PM

shaun88 said:
i was looking at this SSD Sata III on ebay http://puu.sh/1VpSc
the description says this:
The SanDisk ReadyCache SSD gives you the benefits of solid state technology at a fraction of the cost of a traditional SSD. Designed for use as a cache drive, it works in tandem with your existing hardware to accelerate your PC's performance. And since the SanDisk ReadyCache SSD works with your original hard drive, you can enjoy SSD-like responsiveness without having to transfer your files or reinstall your operating system.

so if i dont have to reinstall or transfer my OS then how does this work?

I purchased the this product for my brother back in September. The device increased his load times quite a bit and he was very pleased with his birthday gift. If you are a bleeding edge gamer and want the best in your system I would recommend an actual SSD. Load times of products that you use everyday are cached. If you are doing any kind of work like video editing, photo editing, the performance will not change because they are opening different files every time and they will not be cached onto the SSD. For the price it is definitely worth it.

I have read other reviews stating that the drive does write to much data the the SSD. For example, the game Guild Wars 2 got wrote to the SSD about 5 times and I beleive this is because of these game down loader saving the software into one file. Each time there was a patch it had to re cache the whole program. Results may be different for you.

Thanks!
Joel :bounce: 
January 31, 2013 8:23:17 PM

jkhoward said:
I purchased the this product for my brother back in September. The device increased his load times quite a bit and he was very pleased with his birthday gift. If you are a bleeding edge gamer and want the best in your system I would recommend an actual SSD. Load times of products that you use everyday are cached. If you are doing any kind of work like video editing, photo editing, the performance will not change because they are opening different files every time and they will not be cached onto the SSD. For the price it is definitely worth it.

I have read other reviews stating that the drive does write to much data the the SSD. For example, the game Guild Wars 2 got wrote to the SSD about 5 times and I beleive this is because of these game down loader saving the software into one file. Each time there was a patch it had to re cache the whole program. Results may be different for you.

Thanks!
Joel :bounce: 

thank you for your reply!
a b G Storage
January 31, 2013 8:37:02 PM

shaun88 said:
thank you for your reply!

Your welcome. If you have anymore questions please let me know.
a b G Storage
February 1, 2013 2:52:33 AM

I would suggest not caching so you will have control of what's on it. The cache may speed up what doesn't need the speed. But I would suggest at least a 120gb.
February 4, 2013 5:59:45 PM

Using an SSD to cache the most frequently accessed data will have a very positive effect on the response of file access. ExpressCache (ReadyCache) does not cache files, it stores the most recently, and most frequently accessed, LBAs. In doing so it doesn't store that unnecessary portions of the files that are not frequently accessed. ExpressCache will utilize smaller cache sizes (8GB-24GB) and will have excellent performance results. The SSD can also be used in conjuction with the fast resume feature from Intel, occupying a separate partition on the same SSD. ExpressCache is supported on both Windows7 and Windows8 platforms.
February 4, 2013 8:38:01 PM

rwillis_54 said:
Using an SSD to cache the most frequently accessed data will have a very positive effect on the response of file access. ExpressCache (ReadyCache) does not cache files, it stores the most recently, and most frequently accessed, LBAs. In doing so it doesn't store that unnecessary portions of the files that are not frequently accessed. ExpressCache will utilize smaller cache sizes (8GB-24GB) and will have excellent performance results. The SSD can also be used in conjuction with the fast resume feature from Intel, occupying a separate partition on the same SSD. ExpressCache is supported on both Windows7 and Windows8 platforms.

This is a grat response. The difference from file based and block based caching is important to performance considerations.

Theoretically, SSD caching performance should match the performance of an ssd alone as long as the amount of hot data doesn't exceed the size of the ssd. In practice it's a bit more compicated than that.
Having said that, the reliability difference between ssd caching and an ssd alone is substantial.
If you remove failure from shock or environmental damage, Hard Drives are still more reliable than SSD's.
The noted exceptions are crucial(micron) and Samsung(with samsung Controllers).

There seems to be an uncanny disconnect between the reliability sandforce driven SSD's and SSD's of the same brand that use their own controllers.

So if you asked me what is more reliable, SSD alone or SSD caching? Caching would win by a huge margin.

In terms of performance the margin would be relatively small.
!