Sign in with
Your question

Corsair vs. XFX !

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2011 12:13:14 PM

Hi everyone,

I have come to a (almost) final decision- between two choices as a power supply. Both are 750W. One is the Corsair TX 750 and one is the XFX Pro 750. Both of these seem very nice, and I know Corsair is 'the best' brand for power supplies but I don't know for sure. The XFX costs me less (in $ about 20-30), has 2 more amps on the 12V rail and seems to have a slightly higher efficiency! I read, in two very different review that the XFX managed up to 812 watts of power but the Corsair 900 watts o.o ! PLease can several people help me decide, both seem very good and well built. And please may I know which one is quieter.
Thank you for your help,
Olivier

More about : corsair xfx

a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2011 1:31:27 PM

they are both amazing. buy whichever of the two you can get for cheaper!
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2011 1:39:44 PM

Generally speaking, XFX because all of their PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic. Cosair's PSUs are manufactured by either Seasonic or CWT depending on the model. Actually, I'd rather buy Seasonic PSUs that they sell themselves.

Of the two models you picked, I would go with the XFX Pro 750. The Corsair TX 750 is built by CWT which is still a good manufacturer. But Seasonic is basically in a league of it's own.

Related resources
January 17, 2011 1:42:38 PM

But do one of you two know the difference in sound production? Thanks
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2011 1:47:27 PM

the xfx is quieter
a b ) Power supply
January 17, 2011 1:47:54 PM

Generally speaking, PSUs manufactured by Seasonic are pretty quite by default. Not sure about CWT.

I have two PC with Seaonic PSUs in them, all I can say is that the 120mm Yate Loon fans (which are pretty quiet, there are quieter fans if you wanna spend more $$) I use to cool the CPU is louder than the fan in my Seasonic PSUs, and my Yate Loons are drawing 7v instead of 12v so they are not even spinning at 100%.
January 17, 2011 1:49:20 PM

jaguarskx said:
Generally speaking, PSUs manufactured by Seasonic are pretty quite by default. Not sure about CWT.

I have two PC with Seaonic PSUs in them, all I can say is that the 120mm Yate Loon fans (which are pretty quiet, there are quieter fans if you wanna spend more $$) I use to cool the CPU is louder than the fan in my Seasonic PSUs, and my Yate Loons are drawing 7v instead of 12v so they are not even spinning at 100%.

Alright then I will go for the XFX Pro 750, which looks better and is cheaper anyway :) . Thanks for the fast reply
January 22, 2011 8:50:36 PM

Hello again guys, I just found out (just efore purchasing) that the XFX pro 850 is only 11 euro (like 13 $) more expensive than the xfx pro 750. Should I just go for the 850 for futureproofing? Will it cost a lot more on the electricity bill? Thank you
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 2:31:25 AM

no it will cost the same or possbily even less!
at that price, definitely go for the 850w!!!
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 10:18:44 AM

olivierhacking said:
Hello again guys, I just found out (just efore purchasing) that the XFX pro 850 is only 11 euro (like 13 $) more expensive than the xfx pro 750. Should I just go for the 850 for futureproofing? Will it cost a lot more on the electricity bill? Thank you

Sure. The price is not that much and generally it should last you longer even if you do not upgrade any parts.

The conventional wisdom is that PSU maximum power decreases about 5% every year as the capacitor ages. This is a very, very general rule of thumb that some people use. I would say the decrease is smaller for higher quality PSUs like ones made by Seasonic. But let's just use the "5% rule". Every year the 750w PSU will loose 37.5w and the 850w will loose 42.5w. After 4 years the 750w PSU drops down to 600w maximum power, and the 850w drops down to 680w of power.

Again, I don't really follow that, but I generally replace PSUs after about 6 years. That means I should be replacing the Seasonic PSU in my HTPC next year.
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 2:39:06 PM

that 5% thing is crap. maybe in lousy psus, but even then i dont believe it. if it were 5% a year, that means an old pc with a 150w psu would be running on a 90w after 8 years, or a 300w would be running on 220w. which is not true.
a b ) Power supply
January 23, 2011 3:10:05 PM

shovenose said:
that 5% thing is crap. maybe in lousy psus, but even then i dont believe it. if it were 5% a year, that means an old pc with a 150w psu would be running on a 90w after 8 years, or a 300w would be running on 220w. which is not true.

Yep. Which is why I don't follow that rule. I just upgrade if I think I need to for power requirements or if I think the PSU is getting too old.

I just threw it out there 'cause some people like to use that PSU wattage calculator from OuterVision and there was/is an option for "PSU aging". Last time I've been there was maybe 3 years ago. I remember it was a POS site with wattage "estimates" that were all over the place. I did hear I has gotten a lot better though.
!