How to boot Hitachi laptop without an OS

I have a an old Hitachi laptop that my brother formatted only to discover
that one can not (apparently, although it seems hard to believe) boot it
from a cd. We have the CD in it but no floppy. What can we do? I have CD
copies of WIN 98 and XP but obviously this is of no use. Anyone know what I
can do? The machine a Visionbook Pro 7000. I think its an old Pentium 166 or
200 maybe.

TIA
Dan
19 answers Last reply
More about boot hitachi laptop

    "Dan" <lose thisslamtry@yahoo.com> writes:
    > I have a an old Hitachi laptop that my brother formatted only to discover
    > that one can not (apparently, although it seems hard to believe) boot it
    > from a cd. We have the CD in it but no floppy. What can we do? I have CD
    > copies of WIN 98 and XP but obviously this is of no use. Anyone know what I
    > can do? The machine a Visionbook Pro 7000. I think its an old Pentium 166 or
    > 200 maybe.

    Remove the hard drive and install it in another machine. Run format/s
    to make it bootable to DOS. Copy the window cab files to it. Put the
    drive back in the Hitachi and install Windows from the cabs. I've
    forgotten precisely how to do that.

    Dan wrote:
    > I have a an old Hitachi laptop that my brother formatted only to
    > discover that one can not (apparently, although it seems hard to
    > believe) boot it from a cd. We have the CD in it but no floppy. What
    > can we do? I have CD copies of WIN 98 and XP but obviously this is of
    > no use. Anyone know what I can do? The machine a Visionbook Pro 7000.
    > I think its an old Pentium 166 or 200 maybe.
    >
    > TIA
    > Dan

    The Win9x boot disk has the option to set up generic CD support. This
    is the typical method for OS installation with a floppy boot. Check the
    install CD for a folder ERD (emergency recovery disk), or similar.

    Quaoar wrote:

    > Dan wrote:
    >> I have a an old Hitachi laptop that my brother formatted only to
    >> discover that one can not (apparently, although it seems hard to
    >> believe) boot it from a cd. We have the CD in it but no floppy. What
    >> can we do? I have CD copies of WIN 98 and XP but obviously this is of
    >> no use. Anyone know what I can do? The machine a Visionbook Pro 7000.
    >> I think its an old Pentium 166 or 200 maybe.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Dan
    >
    > The Win9x boot disk has the option to set up generic CD support. This
    > is the typical method for OS installation with a floppy boot. Check the
    > install CD for a folder ERD (emergency recovery disk), or similar.

    A boot disk only helps if you have a drive for it.

    As for not booting from a CD, the 98 CD is not bootable. The XP is--if the
    OP hasn't tried the XP CD he should--that will tell for sure if the machine
    can boot from CD. From there, if he has access to a CD burner then he
    should be able to make a bootable CD from which he can install 98.

    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    I have tried to boot from XP and 98. Neither works. The only thing I can
    come up wit is swapping the hard drive into a more modern machine but I have
    no idea how to get it out. Like many older machines, they did not want the
    user swapping the hard drives.

    Anyone got any ideas? It has a USB port and a PC card slot. Could these
    help?

    Dan

    "Dan" <lose thisslamtry@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >Anyone got any ideas? It has a USB port and a PC card slot. Could these
    >help?

    If you don't have BIOS support for booting from CD, you almost
    certainly don't have BIOS support for USB, and booting from PCMCIA
    _can_ be a nightmare.

    Some of the more recent Ghost versions support USB, but you need to
    boot them, and now we've come full circle. I suspect you're going to
    have to pull the hard drive and do an initial load on some other
    machine.

    Have you asked Hitachi?

    "Dan" <lose thisslamtry@yahoo.com> writes:
    > I have tried to boot from XP and 98. Neither works. The only thing I can
    > come up wit is swapping the hard drive into a more modern machine but I have
    > no idea how to get it out. Like many older machines, they did not want the
    > user swapping the hard drives.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? It has a USB port and a PC card slot. Could these
    > help?

    Why don't you look for a floppy on ebay.

    How about the network jack? Could I boot off a network or from another
    computer?

    Dan

    Dan wrote:

    > How about the network jack? Could I boot off a network or from another
    > computer?

    To boot off the network you have to have a BIOS that supports that. Does
    yours? If so, it's a viable option, but if you've never configured a boot
    image and a boot server it's going to be an "educational" experience.

    --

    Paul Rubin wrote:

    > "Dan" <lose thisslamtry@yahoo.com> writes:
    >> I have tried to boot from XP and 98. Neither works. The only thing I can
    >> come up wit is swapping the hard drive into a more modern machine but I
    >> have no idea how to get it out. Like many older machines, they did not
    >> want the user swapping the hard drives.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? It has a USB port and a PC card slot. Could these
    >> help?
    >
    > Why don't you look for a floppy on ebay.

    Floppy doesn't help unless the BIOS allows boot off a USB device. And if it
    allowed that it would probably support boot off a CD.

    --

    "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >Paul Rubin wrote:
    >> Why don't you look for a floppy on ebay.

    >Floppy doesn't help unless the BIOS allows boot off a USB device.

    Unless there's an option to remove the CD-ROM device and install a
    floppy in it's place. Of course, loading the whole OS via floppy is
    going to be another exercise in futility...

    Maybe there's a floppy drive the connects via a proprietary connector
    (or the parallel port?) or something?

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > "J. Clarke" <jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:
    >>Paul Rubin wrote:
    >>> Why don't you look for a floppy on ebay.
    >
    >>Floppy doesn't help unless the BIOS allows boot off a USB device.
    >
    > Unless there's an option to remove the CD-ROM device and install a
    > floppy in it's place. Of course, loading the whole OS via floppy is
    > going to be another exercise in futility...
    >
    > Maybe there's a floppy drive the connects via a proprietary connector
    > (or the parallel port?) or something?

    It looks like there is an interchangeable diskette drive that replaces the
    CD drive. Good luck on finding one though.

    Learned one thing--I'm never gonna buy a Hitachi computer. Compare the
    information you can find about an old Hitachi with the information you can
    find about an old IBM and it's clear why IBM makes the big bucks.

    --

    Dan wrote:
    > I have a an old Hitachi laptop that my brother formatted only to
    > discover that one can not (apparently, although it seems hard to
    > believe) boot it from a cd. We have the CD in it but no floppy. What
    > can we do? I have CD copies of WIN 98 and XP but obviously this is of
    > no use. Anyone know what I can do? The machine a Visionbook Pro 7000.
    > I think its an old Pentium 166 or 200 maybe.

    You're going to _have_ to get a floppy drive for the unit, a USB one should
    work as USB/Floppy support is supposed to be universal. Or look for an
    internal one on eBay (good luck!).

    You're going to want to BOOT the unit from a W98 bootdisk, format /s the HD
    with CD support so that when it boots from the HD it will find the internal
    CD drive (there are any number of websites that will explain how to do this,
    Google is your friend!).

    Once you can BOOT the unit from the HD and the drivers for the CD are loaded
    you can just run setup/install from the CD.

    BTW, that unit _should_ be a PII, probably a 233 or 266MHz, although they
    were available up to a PII 300MHz.

    http://www.hitachipc.com/notebooks/vbp7000.html

    Regards,

    James

    "JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote:
    >You're going to _have_ to get a floppy drive for the unit, a USB one should
    >work as USB/Floppy support is supposed to be universal. Or look for an
    >internal one on eBay (good luck!).

    I'd really doubt that a USB floppy drive would be bootable, givenwhat
    we know about it...

    >http://www.hitachipc.com/notebooks/vbp7000.html

    That sez:
    /*
    Removable 3.5 in. floppy disk drive and 24X Max. CD-ROM††† drive,
    both interchangeable with battery packs for maximum versatility and
    concurrent use
    */

    So it looks like you can have an internal floppy _and_ an internal
    CD-ROM _IF_ you have no batteries, which ought to be enough to get you
    up and running.

    eBay is definitely your friend!

    William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > I'd really doubt that a USB floppy drive would be bootable, givenwhat
    > we know about it...

    Yeah, but you can get a USB floppy drive for as little as $10, so it's
    certainly worth trying.

    > So it looks like you can have an internal floppy _and_ an internal
    > CD-ROM _IF_ you have no batteries, which ought to be enough to get you
    > up and running.
    >
    > eBay is definitely your friend!

    Yes, but as I said, good luck finding one!

    Regards,

    James

    It was free and despite looking to be in excellent shape, it is very slow. I
    can not see spending any money on it. I guess it will have to go into the
    trash. If I can find how to get the hard drive out I might have a go at
    that, but undoing all the screws I could see yesterday got me nowhere so I
    suspect I am out of luck.

    Dan

    "JHEM" <James@ESAD.SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
    > William P.N. Smith wrote:
    >
    > > I'd really doubt that a USB floppy drive would be bootable, givenwhat
    > > we know about it...
    >
    > Yeah, but you can get a USB floppy drive for as little as $10, so it's
    > certainly worth trying.
    >
    > > So it looks like you can have an internal floppy _and_ an internal
    > > CD-ROM _IF_ you have no batteries, which ought to be enough to get you
    > > up and running.
    > >
    > > eBay is definitely your friend!
    >
    > Yes, but as I said, good luck finding one!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > James

    "Dan" <lose thisslamtry@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >It was free and despite looking to be in excellent shape, it is very slow. I
    >can not see spending any money on it. I guess it will have to go into the
    >trash.

    I bet you could get $100 for it on eBay (with full disclosure)...

    It is very hard for me to believe that the CD is not bootable. In most
    cases, to boot from a CD, you have to go into the BIOS and select the CD
    as the 1st boot device. But the idea that this isn't supported is an
    unlikely stretch, although I can't say it's absolutely not the case.

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > It is very hard for me to believe that the CD is not bootable. In most
    > cases, to boot from a CD, you have to go into the BIOS and select the CD
    > as the 1st boot device. But the idea that this isn't supported is an
    > unlikely stretch, although I can't say it's absolutely not the case.

    Really depends on the age of the machine, OTOH my 233 MHz P1 (and before
    some pedant says that "there's no such thing as a P1", that's shorthand for
    "first generation Pentium") Thinkpad can boot off the CD, and I doubt this
    machine is older than that.

    > William P.N. Smith wrote:

    >>>Floppy doesn't help unless the BIOS allows boot off a USB device.
    >>

    >> Unless there's an option to remove the CD-ROM device and install a
    >> floppy in it's place. Of course, loading the whole OS via floppy is
    >> going to be another exercise in futility...
    >>
    >> Maybe there's a floppy drive the connects via a proprietary connector
    >> (or the parallel port?) or something?

    --
    --John
    (was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

    A Toshiba Portege M200 tablet pc has the same types of issues. Boot
    from CD is an option, but the device won't support anything but a
    Toshiba external CD-ROM. We've tried a different type of USB CD-Rom
    and even a USB Floppy with no luck.

    We get a "failed to contact device" on startup, then the system reverts
    back to its standard windows hard drive boot.

    Barry Watzman wrote:
    > It is very hard for me to believe that the CD is not bootable. In
    most
    > cases, to boot from a CD, you have to go into the BIOS and select the
    CD
    > as the 1st boot device. But the idea that this isn't supported is an

    > unlikely stretch, although I can't say it's absolutely not the case.
    >

    > William P.N. Smith wrote:

    > >>Floppy doesn't help unless the BIOS allows boot off a USB device.
    > >

    > > Unless there's an option to remove the CD-ROM device and install a
    > > floppy in it's place. Of course, loading the whole OS via floppy
    is
    > > going to be another exercise in futility...
    > >
    > > Maybe there's a floppy drive the connects via a proprietary
    connector
    > > (or the parallel port?) or something?

Laptops Hitachi Boot