Radeon HD5770 HDMI audio output problem

Grauw

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hi,

I have just bought an ATI Radeon HD5770 (MSI R5770 PMD1G) graphics card, which I connected to my Onkyo TX-SR508 receiver, which passes through the video signal to my LG TV. Part of the reasons for me to upgrade were its uncompressed HDMI surround audio output features.

Unfortunatly I’m having this issue now, that whenever I turn my TV off, the receiver also stops playing sound. The screen flickers for a bit, disappears from the list of displays, and in the sound configuration it lists “ATI HDMI Output - Not plugged in”. This effectively means that whenever I want to hear sound from my PC, I need to keep the TV on. Boo!

Previously I had an Nvidia 9600GT also connected through HDMI (it used internal S/PDIF passthrough for audio); for that the screen also flickered when I turned the TV off, and the sound got briefly interrupted, but kept playing after that.

Does anyone have a clue what may be going on? I’m using Catalyst driver version 10.8 on Windows 7 (64-bit).

My personal suspicion is that by turning off the video output the audio output also gets automatically turned off... Would there be some way to make the card still send the signal to the receiver? Maybe some way to prevent it from detecting that the TV turned off?

Grauw

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Ah I’ve solved it. This is a bit of a d’uh maybe; when the TV is off, the receiver is no longer in pass-through mode and recognised as a separate device. I needed to just go to the screen resolution screen and extend my desktop to it for it to receive the HDMI signal again. Now it seems to work fine!

andi_kern

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011

THANKS I CAN HAPPILY CONFIRM 'THIS SOLUTION'!!!

I was suffering the same with my Sony amplifier and a W7 PC with an ATI 4870 (Realtek HDMI audio - and Catalyst video-drivers) - hours of trying (at least my drivers are now up to date). For instance I found that with the DVD player (HDMI Port 2) playing an audio CD I could turn off the TV with the effect of only having a little music interruption on the PC (HDMI 3) it killed the sound permanently (playback device became unpluged).

I agree the fact that the 'Windows 7 view' of the amplifier device is a different one whether the connected TV is on or off is very confusing. Specially since I turned all HDMI CEC etc. are turned off...

Thanks again,
Regards from Switzerland
Andi

tinkerbell_69

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011

can you explain 'extend your desktop' in a bit more detail?

which setting is it?

jpierce237

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
I agree, if it's your only video output, how would one extend it.

Does the Realtek HDMI driver resolve this problem as well as it is to (so I've heard anyhow) resolve the audio device not connected problem?

Jim