Sign in with
Your question
Solved

First Gaming PC. Enough/ Overkill?

Last response: in Systems
October 23, 2010 8:55:59 PM

I am having my first gaming PC built for me soon. The shop I am getting it through doesn't offer the greatest range of components but I live in the middle of nowhere and it's really my only option. Here are the specs:

Processor: Quad-Core Intel® Core™ i7-950 3.06GHz
Motherboard: Intel® DX58SO - ATX
Memory: 3 x Crucial 2GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3
Hard Drive: 600GB SATA 6.0Gbps 10000RPM - 3.5" - Western Digital VelociRaptor
Power Supply: Corsair HX650 - Modular - 650W Power Supply
5.25" Bay: Samsung 22x DVD+/-RW Dual Layer LightScribe (SATA)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 470 1280MB GDDR5 (2xDVI, 1xmini HDMI)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

I will be using this strictly for gaming. My budget is around $2000-$2500US including Monitor, keyboard, and mouse. My question is this: Is this enough to last me a couple of years before I have to upgrade or is it overkill? I would like it to run the more demanding game's like a dream if at all possible. (Such as Crysis. The new Witcher looks pretty taxing too.)

Thanks for the help.

More about : gaming overkill

October 23, 2010 9:06:06 PM

jakebaker13 said:
I am having my first gaming PC built for me soon. The shop I am getting it through doesn't offer the greatest range of components but I live in the middle of nowhere and it's really my only option. Here are the specs:

Motherboard: Intel® DX58SO - ATX
Memory: 3 x Crucial 2GB PC3-10600 1333MHz DDR3
Power Supply: Corsair HX650 - Modular - 650W Power Supply

I will be using this strictly for gaming. My budget is around $2000-$2500US including Monitor, keyboard, and mouse. My question is this: Is this enough to last me a couple of years before I have to upgrade or is it overkill? I would like it to run the more demanding game's like a dream if at all possible. (Such as Crysis. The new Witcher looks pretty taxing too.)

Thanks for the help.

That looks pretty solid to me, especially if your limited on options living in the middle of nowhere.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 9:09:16 PM

If you are in the US i really suggest getting your parts off newegg and building it yourself, its not hard and they have a much larger selection.

As for the current selections, if you want to OC at all dont get an intel motherboard. Try to get a 3x2GB kit rather than 3 2GB sticks, you can usually get the kit for cheaper. The 600GB raptor while fast is much more expensive than a 1TB Caviar black or Samsung F3 thats almost as fast but much larger. The HX650 is a good PSU but pretty close to the limit if you want to run SLI, i suggest an Antec TP-750, Corsair 750TX or 750HX, or an XFX 750W unit. The GTX 470 needs a fair amount of power.
m
l
Related resources
October 23, 2010 9:12:31 PM

If it is for strickly gaming I would recommend not spending nearly so much and just upgrade in the future or rebuild a complete system when needed. So here is what I would recommend.

I5 system with an 6870 GPU (two either at start or when needed) and once you feel a dip in performance build another system.

So a $1500 system now that includes a moniter and in 2 years can build another computer for $1500 so you will always have great performance.
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:21:40 PM

Hunter: I am going to have to have this shop build it for me this first time around. I will be able to learn about it all pretty fast and do it myself the next time around but I think I would feel more comfortable having somebody else do it that knows what they are doing. Also I only have 3 motherboard choices. they are:

MSI X58 Pro-E - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® DX58SO - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset
ASUS P6X58D Premium - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 9:25:18 PM

Take the ASUS, its easily the best of the 3.
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:28:30 PM

jakebaker13 said:
Hunter: I am going to have to have this shop build it for me this first time around. I will be able to learn about it all pretty fast and do it myself the next time around but I think I would feel more comfortable having somebody else do it that knows what they are doing. Also I only have 3 motherboard choices. they are:

MSI X58 Pro-E - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset
Intel® DX58SO - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset
ASUS P6X58D Premium - ATX - Intel® X58 Chipset

Personally I'd get none of those 3, but given the choices Go either with the MSI or ASUS depending if you can live with the price of the asus. The intel board really sucks.

About not building it yourself. I would'nt let the shop do it. Building a pc is very easy if you read the manual. There is only one way to put everything in. Beside from taking a hammer to fit the things in the slots there is very little you can do wrong. If it costs like 20dollars then fine let them do it but if it costs more just do it yourself it's really just as hard as connecting a dvd recorder to a TV just a little more finicky.
m
l
October 23, 2010 9:36:02 PM

Can anybody reccomend a motherbaord that would work with this setup? I think I will opt for the bigger PSU too.

Also, is there a major differance between the GTX 470 and 480 video cards?
m
l
October 23, 2010 10:27:14 PM

OKay after searching around these are the new specs I am looking at:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D Premium
Memory: 3X2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-10666 1333MHz Triple Channel Core i7 DDR3
Power Supply: Antec Truepower 23754 TP-750

I did the math and I am absolutely going to build it myself. I will just order the parts online. Even with the upgrades here I am saving. Does anybody have any more suggestions? I still don't know about a case. Are some smaller than others?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
October 23, 2010 10:32:11 PM

Cases vary quite a bit in size, you have everything from the Antec 1200 down to tiny HTPC cases. A larger midtower like a CoolerMaster HAF 922, 692 II, or an Antec 900/902 would fit everything easily, just look around on newegg and find a case you like the looks of because you will have to see it everytime you use your computer.
m
l
October 23, 2010 11:06:25 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, but I have one more dumb question. The Antec's product description says it's compatible with Mini-ITX, microATX and ATX Motherboards. Would it be compatible with the ASUS?
m
l

Best solution

October 24, 2010 6:18:13 AM

jakebaker13 said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but I have one more dumb question. The Antec's product description says it's compatible with Mini-ITX, microATX and ATX Motherboards. Would it be compatible with the ASUS?

If you're going to order the parts and build it yourself (which I, and pretty much everyone else would recommend) I would fill this out, and maybe start another thread with it. You'll get more help and probably save some money.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

I wouldn't stick w/ the same kind of concept as the shop you were planning on buying from if you're building it yourself.

Also from the top of the board, here's the forum guide to building a PC, as was said, not too difficult.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...

And a guide to choosing parts, so you have more an Idea of what people are telling you when/if you post the build advice form.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-31-guide-choos...

Hope this helps. While building your first Comp isn't as hard as one would think, you still want to make sure you do plenty of reading on everything that goes into it before you actually purchase the components. Hope this helps.
October 24, 2010 7:51:27 PM

Best answer selected by jakebaker13.
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:53:40 PM

jakebaker13 said:
Best answer selected by jakebaker13.

n
nJust answer your question about the mobo the asus is atx so yes it will fit.
m
l
!