Sign in with
Your question

I7 960 CPU speed versus Ram Speed

Last response: in Components
January 17, 2011 4:27:00 PM

Hey Guys, I have been trying to find some info on the correct Ram speed and CPU relationship as it relates to the Bus speed for the motherboard and components I have currently.
Here is what kind of system I have so far....

CPU=== Intel i7 960

Cooling for CPU==Noctua NH-U9B SE 2 – 4 Dual Heat Pipe , 2x92mm SSO Bearing Quiet Fan

RAM===F3-12800CL9T-12GBRL G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB 3 x 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 PC3 12800 ( Timing 9-9- 9-24, 1.5Volts)

Motherboard==EVGA Intel X58 Socket 1366 ATX Motherboard 132-GT-E768-KR

Video Cards==2x EVGA 768-P3-N961-LR GeForce 9600 GSO Video Card - 768MB DDR2

Power Supply=850 Thermaltake TR2 2x

Hard Drives=2x30gb OCZ's Vertex Sata II ; 1x 60GB OCZ's Vertex Sata II

a b à CPUs
January 17, 2011 5:06:09 PM

Technically the memory controller in the chip says it only supports "Memory Types DDR3-800/1066" http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37151 check this link and read through the specs, click on Memory Specifications. But of course you can run higher clocked RAM and timings. You just want to stay above the minimum speeds.

But for all the things you got listed above, the only thing I see way out of whack is the video cards. They don't have DX11, the DDR2 is slow, and the memory bandwidth is 128bit if I'm not mistaken. Even you are running 2 of them, it is still the slowest thing in your system. Everything else is up to par with the bandwidth of your system. I recommend you rethink the video to be GTX460 x 2 or something...
m
l
January 19, 2011 1:29:49 AM

1965ohio said:
Technically the memory controller in the chip says it only supports "Memory Types DDR3-800/1066" http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id=37151 check this link and read through the specs, click on Memory Specifications. But of course you can run higher clocked RAM and timings. You just want to stay above the minimum speeds.

But for all the things you got listed above, the only thing I see way out of whack is the video cards. They don't have DX11, the DDR2 is slow, and the memory bandwidth is 128bit if I'm not mistaken. Even you are running 2 of them, it is still the slowest thing in your system. Everything else is up to par with the bandwidth of your system. I recommend you rethink the video to be GTX460 x 2 or something...

Hey thanks for responding to my thread!--
If I need to I will get better Vid cards. But for what I do, great graphics are not required like they are in gaming. That's the nice thing about trading. It's more of the machine and the trader behind the "look", than what you actually see on the screen.
The only thing would be if the Vid cards' themselves would throw a wrench in the sytem for some reason, then I would switch.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2011 2:34:01 AM

I know the Windows Experience Index doesn't really mean a lot. But Imagine you scan your system and everything is 7.5-7.9, then graphics at 6.4. The index is not something that can be trusted as a true benchmark or indicator of a bottleneck... but in this case it will deduct 1 point from your video card setup simply because it is lacking DX11.

Here is a stupid comparison, I have an ATI HD5550 that is DirectX 11 compatible, but it is a cheapo card. In games, it does not compare to my old 9800GTX. However, windows rates my 9800GTX as a 6.4 and the ATI as a 6.8. When I changed to the GTX465, my rating went to 7.5 for graphics. The GTX465 of course is much better than the latter 2 and it is fully DX11 compatible. I know not to trust the experience index completely, but it is shocking to build a killer system like that and then it say 6 or something when everything else is a 7.5-7.9, LOL.

But if you are not gaming and just rely on the cards for photoshop or using the CUDA cores for encoding/decoding, then I wouldn't worry about changing them until you really need to. But it is true from all the things you listed above that the video cards are the slowest part of the system. It is not going to affect computer performance a lot though since you are not planning on gaming.
m
l
!