New Built computer, black screen?

BurntBread

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
Hi guys, my Dad realized we desperately needed a new computer. (7 year old thing that had trouble running solitare...) So about 2 years ago we had someone prebuild a computer.

Specs:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU X9650 @ 3.00GHz (4 CPUs)
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Video card: Nvidia GeForce 295GTX (Or something like that)
Not sure if you need anything else.

Anyways, I've been having this problem for like the past 9 months where I turn on the computer, turn on the monitor, turn on the modem, and let it boot up. After I get the intel backsplash screen (The one where it tells you to push F8 for BIOS or F12 for whatever etc.) that there will be a blinking underscore in the top left. It steadily picks up speed, then it drops down a level and blinks fast as well, then the monitor just turns off, like it doesn't even register the computer is on.

The blue ON on the monitor turns to orange OFF.

So I hard restart the computer by pushing the power button. The weird thing is, I don't even have to hold the power button! The computer turns off in one click, just like how I turn it on: In one click.

So usually I'll turn it off, then turn it back on and it will reboot. But recently when it does that, it'll just keep happening and it won't ever show the "Starting Windows" screen...

To fix the problem, I must go down and unplug the cable to the power supply, wait a few seconds and put it back in.

It runs BEAUTIFULLY like it properly should when everything comes up.

This is driving me crazy, someone please help.

etk

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
Can you open the case, and check the label on the power supply? We'll need a brand, and a wattage, or better, the number of AMPS on each 12V rail. Do you have on-board video available? If so, try booting with integrated video. This will remove the video card as a problem, and more importantly, pull less power from the PSU. While you are in the case, blow out the dust, and re-seat the ram. (probabaly not causing the problem, but should be done every now and again anyway)