Closed Solved

Is it worthwhile to SLI an MSI GTS 250 - 512

My current system setup has an MSI GTS250 512 running to a 22"ACER monitor and I am getting ready to set up to go wireless to a 2nd monitor. Given that there will likely be some speed issues with this setup I am wondering if it would be worthwhile to by a second GTS250 512 for $69 at Newegg and go SLI?

I don't have a lot of money to spend so having sufficient resources for a minimal cost would be advantageous.

Core i7 920
ASUS P6X58D Premium M/B
6Gb G-skill DDR3 1600
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 2
Samsung DVD-RW
Western Digital 640gb Caviar Black HD
Western Digital 60gb HD
MSI 250GTS 512 GPU
Hauppage WinTV HVR-2250
22" Acer AL2223W Monitor
Win 7 Home Premium 64
Apevia Case
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about worthwhile
  1. I forgot OCZ GAMEXTREME 700 PSU
  2. Best answer
    I don't know or see how SLi would help if you're going wireless to another monitor but for a sheer gaming performance increase if you don't care for DX11, it's 70 bucks spent that will keep you going for a while I reckon.
  3. The wife wants to watch TV and DVD's in the kitchen and the wireless to an existing monitor I have laying around while still running the ACER at the same time I figured I'd need some extra video processing power.
  4. Sli will not be used if you are just watching telly.
  5. A single GTS 250 can easily handle two monitors on it's own. The only advantage you will gain from SLI is in gaming.
  6. Well, I guess that answers that. The wife should be pleased. I was trying to justify a 2nd GPU.

Just out of curiosity...does my GAMEXTREME 700 PSU have enough balls to power 2 GTS 250's?
  7. I would have thought so, they only use about 90w.
  8. Thank you very much for your help!!
  9. Best answer selected by wayneepalmer.
  10. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics MSI-Microstar