VPU Recover..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Hey
I have an ATI Radeon X1650, and I've been happy with it for quite some time now. But lately it has been showing me VPU Recovers constantly whenever I play any kind of 3d game.
I've searched the web (including many similar posts on this website) about this for a couple of days now, I've been trying to pin point why the sudden mood change, but still no luck. I have installed several programs (fanspeed, ati tools, blabla), tried all the tips and hints I've found about this, and I still can't figure this out.

I'm not a very tech-savvy person, but I've fully cleaned the inside of my desktop computer, I've properly updated all my drivers, I've monitored the temperature (no overheating), I've monitored (and later tried removing) the paged pool memory (I think that's what it's called), I believe my 300W PSU provides enough power, I've oc'ed and uc'ed, I have reduced the game's graphics to a minimum.. To tell you the truth I don't even know all I have done any more. But what I do know is that everything I've checked is OK, and nothing I've done actually helped my case.

I have an Asus motherboard, a VIA chipset, ATI Radeon X1650, and an Intel Pentium 4. This is all I know from the top of my head, sorry.. I'm also using Windows XP SP3.
Oh, and sometimes after getting this VPU Recover, ATI shows me a little window asking me if I want to restart my computer to apply the new settings, even when I've done nothing related to ATI settings. Other times after the VPU recover the computer has a freeze/stutter crash.

I really have no clue of what to do here... I'm hopeless and asking you guys is my last resort, since I can't afford a new computer or parts. I'm begging you, please please advise me in what to do!
Tell me something to try, maybe it'll help? I don't know :S
Thanks for any input

Solution
It could be that the memory on the card is failing especially if your temps are all normal. Had that happen on a X1900GT once.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Never really thought of that!
Thanks for your input, last I've checked max. temperature was around 50C, idles at about 37.
If this is the case, I guess my only choice now would be to get a new card.

edit: I just found that a game tells me this when I try to re-open it after a VPU recover:

Bad video card drivers!
Unable to start because it failed to find an accelerated OpenGL mode.

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Can any of you guys suggest a new card for me?
I was thinking of spending a maximum of 80 euros... I searched a bit and found an Asus Radeon HD4670 DI 512Mb DDR3 (PCI-E) at that price range.
Any tips for a tech-idiot?

bnot

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

A friend of mine also tells me he can get me an old 400W PSU of his, so I should be better off I guess.
Thanks again rolli59.

Status
Not open for further replies.