Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My flash drive seems to be permanently stuck as Write Protected.

Last response: in Storage
Share
February 1, 2013 4:09:39 AM

I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

*Flipping a switch - there is no switch on my flash drive.
*Formatting the flash drive - I get the "The disk is write protected." error whenever I try this.
*Checking the flash drive for errors - I get the "The disk is write protected." error.
*Going into my flash drives properties and turning off write protection - write protection does not show up under my *flash drives properties.
*Going into regedit, finding my StorageDevicePolicies, and setting WriteProtect to 0 - regedit claims WriteProtect is already set to 0.
*cmd prompt: diskpart-> list disk -> select disk 1 -> attributes disk clear readonly - I get the message "Disk attributes cleared successfully." However, nothing happens; I still get the error "The disk is write protected." whenever I try to do anything.
*cmd prompt: diskpart -> list disk -> select disk 1 -> clean - "DiskPart has encountered an error: The media is write protected."
*Using the "Usb Format.exe" - it can't find my flash drive.
*Using HDDGuru to do a low level format - I get a bunch of errors like "1/31/2013 9:37:03 PM Format Error occurred at offset 159,318,016: 19 - The media is write protected".
*Trying to test with H2testw 1.4 - I get "The media is write protected. Code 19"
*HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool 2.2.3 - I get "Device Media is write-protected".

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

I know it is the flash drive, because I have a 4 GB SanDisk that works fine and has been working fine for years, but I need this one because it has more space. And I've only had it for like two months and already it's messing up on me. -.-
April 23, 2013 12:30:12 PM

Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).
m
0
l
Related resources
April 23, 2013 12:30:12 PM

Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 12:30:12 PM

Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).
m
0
l
April 23, 2013 12:30:13 PM

Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).
m
0
l
August 1, 2013 11:54:10 PM

Paul Neuman said:
Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****


I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).

i think that to return the hardware is a good solution. i have a pny myself stuck like this and the pny utility failed and so did another low level format utility i tried and easeus partition master, it didnt do any good for it either. i will do some more rescearch and testing ill post if anything works
m
0
l
October 4, 2013 10:54:41 PM

Hi all,

I had the exact same problems with the exact same potential solutions that never worked for me. I found a utility tonight that fixed my 32GB PNY usb drive. It's called RecoverTool_V2.00.28_L0920.

I had probably read at least 40 forums with the same problems and this was finally the fix. It allowed me to disable write protection and format the PNY drive and start over. I did lose all data but I didn't need it. I just wanted to use it. Good luck!
m
0
l
October 25, 2013 12:55:38 PM

After you ran your usb drive through the recovery program, what did you do to fix the write protection thing? You mentioned you didn't actually recover any data, were you able to delete it?

brooksaaron said:
Hi all,

I had the exact same problems with the exact same potential solutions that never worked for me. I found a utility tonight that fixed my 32GB PNY usb drive. It's called RecoverTool_V2.00.28_L0920.

I had probably read at least 40 forums with the same problems and this was finally the fix. It allowed me to disable write protection and format the PNY drive and start over. I did lose all data but I didn't need it. I just wanted to use it. Good luck!


m
0
l
October 26, 2013 6:09:27 PM

Jeromy R said:
Paul Neuman said:
Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****


I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).

i think that to return the hardware is a good solution. i have a pny myself stuck like this and the pny utility failed and so did another low level format utility i tried and easeus partition master, it didnt do any good for it either. i will do some more rescearch and testing ill post if anything works


Hi, I downloaded the patriot restore utility and when I chose 'Restore', (rather than 'Format', at the stat-up screen, the app performed a low level format and my USB stick is useful to me once again.

Every other solution offered on this page, and others, failed to achieve this.

Thank you Patriot and Paul Neuman.
m
0
l
December 23, 2013 3:39:35 AM

Paul Neuman said:
Nyakitty said:
I have tried literally everything to get it working and literally nothing is getting it out of write protection. I'm starting to get frustrated to be honest, because I honestly don't know why it's doing this and I can't find a single person that has ever had this problem to the extent that I do.

I've already tried the following methods to get it out of write protection:

****

I am trying to fix a 16 GB PNY. The exact model can be found at http://www3.pny.com/category_buymulti.aspx?Category_ID=...

****


I just had this same exact issue with a Patriot drive. I found this article fantasic (http://www.jwgoerlich.us/blogengine/post/2009/11/05/Use...) however it did not resolve the issue.

I was told by many sites you should just return the memory. Then I contacted Patriot and they said that I should use their special tool (located at : http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...) to do a low level format. Of course this means you loose your data, however it recovered the drive back to working condition. The tech said that this tool only works on Patriot drives so you will likely have to contact PNY for their tool(s).


m
0
l
December 23, 2013 3:42:34 AM

Hi, i have the same problem. mine is toshiba 32gb. i have tried all options from many sites n cant solve the problem. even the low level format couldn't help. please advice on a way further.
m
0
l
February 5, 2014 9:23:26 PM

I just come across the same issue of write protection on my Kingston 64GB USB FLASH Drive. Tried all solution(Formatting,Regedit,Diskpart ,CMD Unhide Commands, USB Formatting Tools and ALLLA BLAA ) and non of the mentioned worked for me. Tried Patriot formatting tool for kingston USB and it worked for me. Just you have to use "Restore" Button instead "Format".
http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...

Please Backup of your data before using it as all of your data wiped out and unable to recover later.

Thanks Tomshardware.com for providing such a place for finding solution. :bounce: 

Arsalan khan
m
0
l
April 26, 2014 8:07:20 AM

arskhan said:
I just come across the same issue of write protection on my Kingston 64GB USB FLASH Drive. Tried all solution(Formatting,Regedit,Diskpart ,CMD Unhide Commands, USB Formatting Tools and ALLLA BLAA ) and non of the mentioned worked for me. Tried Patriot formatting tool for kingston USB and it worked for me. Just you have to use "Restore" Button instead "Format".
http://www.patriotmemory.com/partners/usb_restore/Resto...

Please Backup of your data before using it as all of your data wiped out and unable to recover later.

Thanks Tomshardware.com for providing such a place for finding solution. :bounce: 

Arsalan khan



Yesssssssss! Thank you.....after 4 hours of tutorials this worked!!

m
0
l
May 2, 2014 4:50:19 PM

sunshine7980 said:
After you ran your usb drive through the recovery program, what did you do to fix the write protection thing? You mentioned you didn't actually recover any data, were you able to delete it?

brooksaaron said:
Hi all,

I had the exact same problems with the exact same potential solutions that never worked for me. I found a utility tonight that fixed my 32GB PNY usb drive. It's called RecoverTool_V2.00.28_L0920.

I had probably read at least 40 forums with the same problems and this was finally the fix. It allowed me to disable write protection and format the PNY drive and start over. I did lose all data but I didn't need it. I just wanted to use it. Good luck!



The recovery tool he mentioned is for PNY drives 64GB and lower. It also repairs the write protection problem that originally caused the problem. It's located at: http://www.pny.com.tw/index.php?cls=2&mode=download
It's found in the Services tab under: USB Flash Driver Format Tool (Ufix-II).

It wasn't easy getting PNY to release the tool from in-house. I had to swear at a few people. They had a 32GB tool that could fix it but it would break the capacity on 64GB models. There are also other available recovery/LLF tools on their site.

m
0
l
!