vugger

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2010
I am looking to update my current desktop and I would like to build something that can play some of the newer war games (i.e. MoH, COD, BF3, etc...) Unfortunately, I am a little out of the loop when it comes to the minimum that will handle the job and I have not done any major upgrades to my current rig in almost 5 years. Now that I can make a little time for relaxation and gaming again, I need to upgrade.

In the past, I always built pc's with AMD CPU's and ASUS boards and if possible I would like to keep using them. (Although I have been reading very positive reviews about Gigabyte) I have built quite a few pc's with ASUS boards and have never had a problem, but maybe the competition is a lot closer these days.

I have a working budget of $500 or less (I know, I know that will be tough to do). I can salvage my current case, mouse etc... but I need:
CPU
Board
Memory
HD
PSU
and I am guessing a video card.

I don't need anything on the high end of the spectrum, I just need something that will run Windows 7, newer war games, and the usual applications. I have always been able to stay within the "sweet spot" for hardware and been able to play current games, so I am hoping to do the same.

I will admit, I am a little confused at how many boards these days have integrated graphics. I was always taught that was a "no no", but it seems alot of new boards come this way. I have been looking into the crossfire technology, but I am not sure what the general consensus is?

With that said... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a couple of ideas that I will post shortly.