Fastest way to transfer data between 2 computers

avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Just finishing up a new windows 7 computer. I want to transfer about 350GB from my XP machine to my 7 machine. They're networked through my Linksys router. I can transfer files that way. It's slow. I can also use my external eSATA drive and copy from the XP machine to that and then from that to my 7 machine. That's actually a bit faster than over the network even considering it's a 2 step process. But I was wondering if there's a faster way? I'm sure that I can't connect one eSATA port to another, right? I'm not going to try cuz I don't want to hurt anything but I figured I'd ask. The other thing that I thought might be faster is crossover cable from one computer to the other bypassing the router. I used to have a peer to peer set up that way. I don't want to buy anything fancy to do this. I remember laplink was the way to go a long time ago but I'm sure that's passe. I probably still have a yellow parallel cable somewhere. :) Anyway, just figured I'd see what anyone thought.

Thanks much,

A.

VanillaGorilla

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
How are you transferring the files over the network? Wired PC to wired PC or is one of them wireless?

If you run a crossover cable between the two that might be faster if both NIC's are 1000base-T.

Good luck.

avianrand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
Sorry, forgot to say no wireless. Hard wired. Both motherboards have gigabit LAN ports. So if I get a gigabit crossover cable I may be able to beat the speed of the SATA transfer to the external drive and back. Will give that a shot. Thanks.