Sign in with
Your question

Known issues of the 5770

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 5, 2010 3:00:40 AM

Am thinking about buying a asus 1gb 5770 . i have rad some real bad posts about it , so is this card safe to buy ? and will it give me unexpected driver and hardware issues ?

More about : issues 5770

a c 153 U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 3:04:39 AM

What have you heard bad about it? If you are talking about funky drivers, some of the newer drivers are giving people problems, but you can always use an old driver set like 10.4 to get stability.
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
September 5, 2010 3:15:50 AM

The only real problem I have heard is that if the card is PCIe x 16 2.1 there is issues running it in a mobo with 1.x slot. That is a mobo problem that some manufacturers have fixed with a bios update.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 3:26:54 AM

Every card can give you "unexpected driver and hardware issues", but most likely not. The chances of getting a dud is really small, and there's no problem that affects the whole 5770 lineup.

If you're getting the CuCore, there were a series of cards with dimpled cooler that adversely affected its cooling capability IIRC.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 3:51:09 AM

Quote:
If I were you, I would wait for the GTS 450 release first though, that way the HD5770 would drop in price cause I heard from rumors that the GTS 450 will performon par with the 5770 but will be priced on the same level as the 5750

If he plans to wait, he could also wait for HD6750/70 around Novmeber. :pt1cable: 
m
l
a c 1363 U Graphics card
a c 299 Ĉ ASUS
September 5, 2010 3:53:16 AM

Quote:
If I were you, I would wait for the GTS 450 release first though, that way the HD5770 would drop in price cause I heard from rumors that the GTS 450 will performon par with the 5770 but will be priced on the same level as the 5750

We can wait for new hardware forever since there is always something new around the corner. The rumor I heard (read) on this forum is that the GTX450 performs on par with GTS250, HD4850 and HD5750.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 5, 2010 6:08:08 AM

but you have to admit, this forum has a lot of threads describing problems with 5770's. They do seem to be the most popular ATI card though
m
l
September 5, 2010 8:21:27 AM

i have gone through 2 5750's. an xfx and an asus. the xfx is currently being reviewed for a warranty exchange. the asus is pretty solid. THe only complaint i have, is that I can't alt+tab away from a game. it will crash. So no thottbot+WoW :) 
m
l
September 5, 2010 9:39:36 AM

yeah well i could wait untill may be mid november , after that i got to get some thing . So all these threads about vertical lines , crashes , blue screens and artifacts are driver related ?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 5, 2010 3:22:35 PM

sashika said:
yeah well i could wait untill may be mid november , after that i got to get some thing . So all these threads about vertical lines , crashes , blue screens and artifacts are driver related ?

Yes, only a extremely small portion of GSOD problems are hardware/BIOS related.
m
l
September 5, 2010 3:49:05 PM

I bought a xfx 5770 about 2 months ago, I had some driver problems but it turned out that my windows 7 was corrupt. I have really enjoyed my 5770 and i have not had any problems with it.
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:00:47 AM

alright , thanks alot guys . i think i will go ahead with a 5770
m
l
September 6, 2010 4:10:42 AM

The GTS 450 just came out and is around $30 cheaper than the 5770 and has around the same specs.

I wouldn't worry about driver issues since nVidia takes care of their drivers.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 4:17:37 AM

^ It did? *Checks* Where?

The leaked benches show it to be a bit slower than the 5770..So I'm wondering where do you get your info from.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 4:22:39 AM

But they have not *shipped* any nor do we have definitive benches.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 10:51:49 AM

I have a 5770 for a few months now and never had any problems with it. There are no known issues with my card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 1:22:21 PM

Not sure about the ASUS model but I've had a Sapphire 5770 for 9 months now and never had any problems -- with these cards as with any other it is just a matter of knowing what you have and it's capabilities and not trying to run the newest games with all of the AA and AF etc. turned all the way up on a 30"+ HDTV etc. -- THe card is a great performer at the price but does have its limitations when you start using very large resolutions with alot of after effects enabled (the 128 bit memory bus does limit it a bit once you are pushing it to extremes but for the place it was designed to fill it is a great option) Note: I use a 22" 1680x1056 monitor and it performs fine in all games at that resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 6, 2010 2:01:49 PM

Usually the problems with ATI are when you buy a new series card right after that series is launched. Bought a very first 5 series card last year and had a lot of trouble, from a huge mouse pointer to crashing in games.

They eventually fix the drivers but it takes a bit. AsHelltech said, ATI also has problems with some new drivers but by now you have lots of older good drivers available.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 3:16:04 PM

Just thought of one other thing that has been a bit of a hassle with the 5770 -- on some older games the autosetup features have thought the card was one of the old Nvidia FX 57xx series cards that had problems with some of the shader implementations and thus they set the card on ultra low settings with some of the shaders disabled - so in order to get the game working correctly you have to adjust the config files at times (this could be why some people complain about them if they do not understand how to adjust the game settings to reenable those shaders and other settings !)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 4:01:37 PM

+1 for sapphire products, mine is sapphire as well and so was the card before(HD2600XT).
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 6, 2010 10:41:24 PM

Quote:
well they're both 57XX cards :sarcastic: 
any specific games with that problem? cause I still have a lot of old games that I haven't tried on my 5770

Isnt AMD going to continue having problems until after HD9000? Lol a HD6870 being reconized as a 6800GT. :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 12:49:22 AM

Quote:
well they're both 57XX cards :sarcastic: 
any specific games with that problem? cause I still have a lot of old games that I haven't tried on my 5770

One that comes to mind is Oblivion - everytime I update my drivers it resets itself to ultra low settings and shuts off the shader 3.0 model usage, so I have to go back and reedit the .ini file to reenable things afterwards.
m
l
September 7, 2010 2:18:26 AM

those issues are not too bad , there are price differences between brands , like xfx , palit , pny , zotac and asus . Is there a specific brand thats good ? or better than the other . I saw a palit gtx 460 for likr 190$ . They have slapped on a customer cooler that is pure *** . My friend had a 9800gtx+ with the same cooler and it died of over heating
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
September 7, 2010 2:45:35 AM

that oblivion problem happens with any video card if you change drivers, things get reset to default. happens with my 8800gts. If it is a newer card that oblivion is not aware exists, it will default to low settings.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2010 12:52:01 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
that oblivion problem happens with any video card if you change drivers, things get reset to default. happens with my 8800gts. If it is a newer card that oblivion is not aware exists, it will default to low settings.

Nope -- If it is a new card that it does not recognize it will get reset to MEDIUM with the shader model 3.0 enabled so that the game will render properly using in game slider adjustments --- with the 5770 it falsely recogniizes the ATI 5770 as an Nvidia FX57xx series card which Bethesda added the Ultra-Low setting for in a patch after release due to problems with the series "Tweaked" implementation of the shaders causing problems and thus turns off several of the shaders etc. that can not be controlled using the in game sliders and thus you have to change the config file to get it working properly.
m
l
!