Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Disabling core parking on windows 7

Last response: in CPUs
January 18, 2011 2:39:40 AM

Hello,

Is there a simple and reversible way to do this? I have an 8 core i7 hp tester probook. I can see that 4 cores are parked. Any ideas?
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 5:08:01 AM

Why do you want to? It only parks cores when the CPU is under a pretty light load, and it helps save power. It doesn't hurt performance.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 5:55:45 AM

Quote:
Disable Speedstep in the bios.

Then put your power management to minimal

Speedstep doesn't have anything at all to do with core parking.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 5:58:35 AM

bartman1 said:
Hello,

Is there a simple and reversible way to do this? I have an 8 core i7 hp tester probook. I can see that 4 cores are parked. Any ideas?

8 cores? Intel do not make 8 core CPU's, at least not yet. I can only assume that it's a quad core with Hyperthreading switched on.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 7:40:28 AM

Quote:
its a power saving feature aint it?

anyways here you go OP

Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

It is a power saving feature. That having been said, on a laptop there's no reason at all to turn off speedstep or core parking. They make almost no difference in performance, but they make a huge difference in power consumption.

I would still like to know why the OP believes that it is necessary to turn off core parking.
Score
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 8:22:39 AM

And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? If anything, it says to not mess with the OS thread scheduling and core management.
Score
a c 141 à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
a b α HP
January 19, 2011 9:13:02 PM

Doesn't setting performance to Maximum do this?
Score
!