Closed

Disabling core parking on windows 7

Hello,

Is there a simple and reversible way to do this? I have an 8 core i7 hp tester probook. I can see that 4 cores are parked. Any ideas?
6 answers Last reply
More about disabling core parking windows
  1. Why do you want to? It only parks cores when the CPU is under a pretty light load, and it helps save power. It doesn't hurt performance.
  2. Quote:
    Disable Speedstep in the bios.

Then put your power management to minimal

Speedstep doesn't have anything at all to do with core parking.
  3. bartman1 said:
    Hello,

Is there a simple and reversible way to do this? I have an 8 core i7 hp tester probook. I can see that 4 cores are parked. Any ideas?

8 cores? Intel do not make 8 core CPU's, at least not yet. I can only assume that it's a quad core with Hyperthreading switched on.
  4. Quote:
    its a power saving feature aint it?

anyways here you go OP

Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]

- Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

It is a power saving feature. That having been said, on a laptop there's no reason at all to turn off speedstep or core parking. They make almost no difference in performance, but they make a huge difference in power consumption.

I would still like to know why the OP believes that it is necessary to turn off core parking.
  5. And what exactly does that have to do with this thread? If anything, it says to not mess with the OS thread scheduling and core management.
  6. Doesn't setting performance to Maximum do this?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Windows 7 Intel i7 Hewlett Packard Core