AMD X2 will it bottlneck with HD 5770?

PcNublet

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hello, I have a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ 2.6ghz and I'm wondering if it will bottleneck with a 1gb 5770?

Comps an HP a6200n that I bought back a couple years ago and I dont wan't to dump a lot of money into it that could be used towards a custom build. Is it worth upgrading?

I feel like I will have to just keep upgrading one part after the other. Like how I need new PSU for graphics card.

I plan on a custom build soon in the future and was thinking I could get a 5770 & 550w PSU now to keep this comp going awhile longer, then another 5770 later and crossfire on custom build.

If it will run fine, then I'm going to place my order.

If not, then I would like to save money by buying a card that will get the best bang for my CPU.
(I already have to buy card + PSU so don't want to upgrade CPU also >.<)

Any suggestions would be awesome!

P.S Also was reading that sometimes 5770s have trouble on Pcie 1x?
Which is what my comp has, but the card I'm getting is 2.0 not 2.1?

jonahkirk

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2008

I have a 5770 that I picked up open box from the Egg for a steal. I'm running it with an ancient AMD 939 socket Athlon x2 3000 2.0 ghz. Win7 64 bit. It runs just fine -I, too am trying to hold back for bulldozer. Just don't expect a lot from cpu heavy games. I did also buy the new power supply and and have an 80gig Intel G1 via Dana-electric which really sped up this old machine. I'd say buy the 5770-or wait for 6700, and start picking up parts for your new build. Definitely spring for some type of SSD Boot/Application drive. It's the best bang for your buck you can buy.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
I agree with jyjjy. The general rule for all games is that lower resolution puts more stress on the CPU, while higher resolution puts more stress on the GPU. The level of detail as well as the physics within the game itself are further factors.

Also, ALL HD5000-series cards are in fact PCI-E 2.1 cards. I have confirmed this several times over. Many are mislabeled as PCI-E 2.0, though. I can only guess this is done to show compatibility with PCI-E 2.0 motherboards.

PCI-E 2.1 compatibility with PCI-E 1.x motherboards is determined by the motherboard itself, which may likely need a BIOS update. Such an update will probably have to have been released sometime within the last 2 years. Any BIOS version older than that probably doesn't provide PCI-E 2.1 compatibility.

sadseada123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
anything less than core i7 rigs bottleneck these cards.My card is MSI GTX 260 CORE 216 SUPERCLOCKED 1800MB VRAM but i get 5 fps more than my friend who has A GTX 280 In a core 2 duo e5200 in crysis.

sadseada123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/battlefield_bad_company_2_tuning_guide,3.html

in battlefield bad company 2 see the cpu benchmarks wit the gtx 260.the performance increases DRAMATICALLY FOR EVERY BETTER CPU THERE IS WITH A BETTER FREQUENCY.Same goes for games like gta 4,mafia 2.IN BFBC2 if they tested with a core i7 you could see even better fps than the phenom 2 although it will not be as huge but it will still be there

sadseada123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Is that a sarcastic statement?an i7 blows the e5200 out of the water

sadseada123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
yeah but the OP is using a similar processor so to get the best results if he can he could buy an i7.in many games if you compare a gtx 260 on a i7 920 and i7 860 a small performance difference is still there

Your statement that anything short of an i7 will bottleneck a GTX 260/HD5770 is simply untrue. For example even your friend's e5200 should be able to get up near 4 ghz on good air cooling. At that point that processor will certainly not bottleneck those cards and costs about 1/5th as much as an i7.
As for the OP, yes, his CPU will bottleneck the card in more CPU intensive games, especially when using low resolutions and/or settings.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008

That is why I won't argue with his research. Though, I'm certain if his research showed comparisons that actually included a Core-i7 CPU, there would be no doubt. :p

They are using crossfired HD5870s. That is hardly comparable to a single HD5770 or GTX 260.
Also right on the page you link they say;
So again, a decent dual core processor such as a Core 2 Duo E8xxx or Phenom II X2 should be enough to get the most out of your graphics card in this game.
Which is the opposite of what you are saying.

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Sad, no one has said that a 5770 wouldn't be at least slightly bottlenecked by an Athlon X2, or did you miss that? (You'll see my original comment had nothing to do with it, but was instead in reference to PCI-E compatibility.)

Now, as for your statement about anything less than an i7 bottlenecking...

Unfortunately, what you're missing in all your extensive research and fact-finding is the fact that BFBC2 is a very CPU-intensive game. It's not purely a matter of a GPU being bottlenecked, it's a matter of the Physics of that game being processed and calculated on the CPU. The more cores and the faster the CPU being used in BFBC2, the greater the framerate, regardless of GPU. It's that simple.

Bottleneck is a 4-letter word when it comes to gaming. People read it entirely wrong, misunderstand the entire concept, and worry about it far too damn much.

Now, since this isn't a discussion thread and you've made your advice clear, I suggest we drop the argument. If you so choose, create your own discussion on the matter.

sadseada123

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/battlefield_bad_company_2_tuning_guide,3.html

yeah but according to legion hardware benchmarks when they used a dual core processor they got an average of 33FPS IN THE GAME.WHEN THEY USED A 4 CORE AMD PHENOM 2X4 THEY GOT 55FPS.according to Techspot review 33fps with a dual core is playable although for me averages should be 40 and above to be playable.the game can be played at 33 fps but it will be laggy but you can complete it.my buddy who owns a gtx 280 could complete CRYSIS at 20 25 fps which is unplayable IMHO.

calidus

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
I was in a similar situation as yourself. I have a HP 6250z I upgraded the ram, the GPU and then OC my CPU. I have a 5600+ amd x2, 4 gigs of ram, and a 5770, their was a small bottle neck but i oc my cpu(from 2.8up to 3.0ghz) and the bottle neck is basically gone. 5770 is a great card, and even better when u look at the price. I can play sc2 on ultra without any problems. You will get a small bottle neck. hope this helps :bounce:

PcNublet

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Plus if you plan on carrying the card over to a new build, who cares if it bottle necks.[/quotemsg]

My thoughts exactly. I would upgrade to i7 like some suggest, but would need new Mobo, then new case to fit, etc etc. Just don't have $ for everything my custom build needs atm.

It should only b on my X2 for a couple months, then I should have funds for new build.

I have latest BIOS update that was released. 2008-08-04. I checked under the info, but couldn't find any reference to Pcie 2.1...

My latest problem is that I was going over the dimensions of my card and now I'm worried this hp might not have enough room.

Heres pic of my Mobo

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01077676&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3548643&lang=en

If you look right under where my RAM goes, there is that big ugly grey thing...

My card dimensions are 8.5" x 4.38" x 1.5"

Im worried things right under my pcie might be in the way, but hoping that the card will sit high enough and out of the way >.<

Also Here is link to 5770 and Psu I was planning on getting. Decided since lifetime warranty. Same with psu.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276574&Sku=ULT-LSP550

Again thx a lot for the replys!

PcNublet

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Looks great, but should I go the xtra bucks and get the 550w?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004&cm_re=Corsair_power_supply-_-17-139-004-_-Product

My wifey wants a laptop, so I figure when I get my new build going, there won't be much need for this hp anymore.
So was thinking I could use 550w and 5770 in new build and just crossfire with another 5770.

Also I'm using onboard GeForce 6150SE lmao... So I can't wait for 5770 to ge here.

Great to hear the card will prob clear heat sink!

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
An 8/4/2008 BIOS might actually have support for PCI-E 2.1 cards. The standard was in the works then, and forward-thinking engineers included it. Unfortunately, not all engineers are so forward-thinking...

All I can say is I hope it works. If you install it, connect the monitor, then boot and the PC starts but the screen stays blank, then it's probably incompatible. But, at least you'll have the card around for the upcoming build.

On an aside, does your HP case use or support standard ATX power supplies? Some HP machines use mATX PSU's, which are quite a bit smaller than ATX ones.

TRENDING THREADS