Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Image SSD and transfer to HDD (Yes, it's a downgrade)

Last response: in Storage
February 1, 2013 2:32:28 PM

This seems backwards, but I want to create an image of the OS installation on my netbook's 60GB SSD, and transfer it to a standard WD Blue 320GB HDD.

I installed my spare SSD in the netbook, went through the (somewhat painful) process of getting drivers installed again... and am realizing that the crappy AMD A-60 CPU is such a performance killer that I might as well use the SSD somewhere else. So, I want to copy the image to the old HDD and throw it back in the netbook.

I know that there are partition alignment differences between physical spinning disks and SSD's... will that cause a problem? Any other issues that I might encounter? I can fresh install Windows 7 on the HDD, but like I said, the driver install process was kind of a pain for this netbook, so I'd like to just image if possible.

Thanks in advance!
a b G Storage
February 1, 2013 2:42:00 PM

Why not clone the ssd to the 320 using ghost ..
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:47:56 PM

So I can just use something like Macrium Reflect free and clone the SSD to the HDD and be done with it?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 289 G Storage
February 1, 2013 2:48:47 PM

My two favorite procedures are:
1) Do a complete disc clone, swap the drives, and boot from the installation CD. Do a Repair Install and that will fix the drives.

2) Do an image backup to an external drive with a tool like EASEUS ToDO Backup. Put the HDD in and restore the image to it with the option to Restore To Dissimilar Hardware checked. It will fix the drivers for you.
February 1, 2013 3:39:28 PM

Best answer selected by jbd5010.
m
l
February 1, 2013 3:40:36 PM

WyomingKnott said:
My two favorite procedures are:
1) Do a complete disc clone, swap the drives, and boot from the installation CD. Do a Repair Install and that will fix the drives.

2) Do an image backup to an external drive with a tool like EASEUS ToDO Backup. Put the HDD in and restore the image to it with the option to Restore To Dissimilar Hardware checked. It will fix the drivers for you.

Thanks! I'll give method #1 a try (with my Win 7 USB instead of CD/DVD since this is a netbook, lol).
m
l
!