Switching to nVidia, which card should I get?

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Hey guys I am switching from ATI to nVidia after I found out that AMD products were used to do the special FX for that super racist Machete film. I am already in the process of switching to Intel after I had mother board problems with AMD's cheap socket (I need to update my signature). So switching to nVidia isn't that big of a deal, despite what I think of them. So I am wondering what is going to be the closest to my HD 4870 in terms of performance and price. I don't mind picking up a used nVidia card off ebay, but if I do I prefer it to be XFX b/c of the transferable warranty. I am half hispanic and my wife is the first one in her family to have not been born in Mexico and we both feel that this Machete movie is just to inspire a race war when things are already messed up because of that Arizona law. What they really need to do is get rid of sanctuary cities, because in south east Texas, we don't have sanctuary cities and they actually deport people here and thats why illegals aren't out of control like they are over there. Because lax laws always enable the criminal. Anyways, I really want to get rid of my ATI card. The setup I have is an eVGA P55 SLI (with the slots too close so I have to worry about heat) and Im either going to grab a Core i5 750 or a Core i7 870, I live close to a Micro Center, but I don't know if I get the 870 or the 750 and faster ram at the same price.

[:mousemonkey] ;)

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Well I don't want to spend too much money so I was considering something from the G200 series. I play at 1440x900, so honestly even a 4870 is more than I need. I was actually considering a GTX 260 core 216 or maybe a 275. I think I would be okay to go as low as a GTS 250, considering my resolution.

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm gonna try to grab a few good GTX 260s off ebay. I don't need SLI at my resolution but I have the PSU for it so I will probably grab two and selling my HD 4870 will cover some of the cost.

nishiki

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2008
In case you didn''t know, the gts 250 and gtx 260 are slower or not any better than your current card 4870... so it's a downgrade or keep about the same speed... but u spend money for it...

And the fact that amd product where used to do a movie do not mean amd is racist... the film maker may be racist. Also, maybe they used a samsung monitor with a logitech hell mouse, and an evil microsoft keyboard to type the script on those computer... so sell all ur stuff of those brand.... and maybe they used a sony videocam and i can add more and more to the list.

trying to save you money and trouble here....

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
don't forget the microsoft operating system! and all the cinema's that show it.

what about the actors? there all evil too. the sfx people. OMG the list goes on. there was a ford or whatnot car in there, I guess you'll have to change that too.

IMO your being IRRATIONAL!!!

It's better to get a radeon 5770 IMO

Poisoner

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010

I know exactly what you are saying but this is beyond rreason, its personal.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
It's a movie, It's clearly not depicting real life, its meant to be fictional and entertaining, If you don't like it don't watch it, no one forces you to.

The movie developers could choose whoever they wanted for graphics, It just so happened that ATi is cheap and has great performance at the very least in bang for buck areas, it's not as if they said 'hey we support this movie and what it says.'

the most they've said was 'hey they used our equipment because it was cost-effective and performed well for there needs'

w0lfattack

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Well I just watched the trailer and I am definitely throwing out all my gardening tools. By the way, there was indeed a Ford truck along with a Chevy! :ouch: I can't believe they supported this movie, lol.

I believe you are thinking too small... perhaps the effects were created on ATI hardware but that is missing the point. They were created on a COMPUTER. There is no way you should consider owning one of those fiendish devices. You should in fact send all of your computer equipment to me. Have no fear, I am a professional and will see that it is dealt with properly :p
Anyway... forget SLI it is totally pointless at your resolution. If you are going to spend that much get a single GTX 460(768mb will do fine.) It will still be more than you need at your resolution and will give you DX11, use much less power and should cost significantly less than 2 GTX 260s, even used ones.