Upgrading from 3.7Ghz I5 750 to Sandy Bridge?

Should i upgrade to Sandy Bridge?

• Yes - Be a magpie and just do it

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Yes - It's a sensible decision to have the latest socket

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • No - Sandy Bridge is plain rubbish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Your system is potent enough, wait until Ivy Bridge or later

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • I hate you for even considering this while i'm stuck with a Core2 still...

Votes: 6 20.7%

• Total voters

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Hello all,

I have been looking at the new Sandy Bridge reviews on toms hardware and all in all it looks quite capable. I'm a bit of a magpie and am tempted to make a quick motherboard and cpu upgrade so i'm up with the latest tech. However my I5 750 at 3.7Ghz along with the rest of my capable system will more than likely be potent for at least another year (see config in sig) and so i'm torn between my inner desire to have the latest stuff and, well, sheer sensibility.

I was just wondering what your feelings would be.

Thanks for taking part!

noble

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010

If you can sell those in a reasonable price then you will satisfy your urge to upgrade and not lose too much money...

In my personal option, it's not worth it.

Although what do you mainly do with your computer?

If it's gaming, then definitely no. If it's rendering other another cpu intensive task, well that will depend on how often you do it.

Overall, a core i5 750 @ 3.7 ghz is really powerful cpu already. Im just not sure if you'll be satisfied with an upgrade with such minor gains.

bearclaw99

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2010
Well....it comes down this...if you can't think of a specific reason why you need Sandy Bridge, don't get it

Strictly speaking, there is nothing out there that your rig can't handle very well at least until Ivy Bridge comes out, except bragging rights maybe